Where to install

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

lmrapp

Where to install

Post by lmrapp » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:20 pm

Newbie here. Just bought the Pro version for one user. If this is possible, I would like to do the work on my workstation, but install the compiled macro on the server. Is this possible? Is it possible even though the macros use Windows programs? Or do I have to create the macro on the server.
Thanks
--

Larry

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Hi,

Nice to see you again :D

You can do anything you want with a compiled macro, it is a stand alone .exe program.

From the website:
With Macro Scheduler Pro you can create script executables to install on other PCs in your enterprise, give to friends and colleagues or even sell to your customers.

lmrapp

Post by lmrapp » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:52 pm

Nice to see you, too!

Well, what I mean is this: Say I install on the workstation. I create a macro which uses not only the commands, but runs that Linksys video recorder. If I compile that, even though it is a standalone .exe, won't the mouse movements refer to the computer it's compiled on? If you run it on a different computer, even though it has the same referred to program on it, the mouse movements will be different. If that isn't true, then somehow Macro Schedule knows what the underlying functions are. That would be way cool, but I don't think it's that smart!
--

Larry

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:17 pm

I see what you mean. A lot will depend on how your particular window behaves. If mouse moving is the only way to make it work then, unless the window is a differentt pixel by pixel size on the two machines, you should be able to use MouseMoveRel> (after setting focus on that window) which moves to an xy position relative to the upper left corner of the window, then the code would be portable without a problem. But look at the PushButton command first.

Oh, and start the program by RunProgram the shortcut, don't so a mouse move and click to do that.

Another possibilty on some windows is that Tab will step round the buttons.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:24 pm

Also, if you are recording the macro it will remember the window's position and size and reposition and resize the window in the recorded placement when playing back. But I would try to avoid mouse events as much as possible as keystrokes are not subject to window placement.

However, if you are compiling the macro for use on other machines I would stear clear of recording it. Recording is great for quickly creating macros that run on your PC but the only way you can absolutely guarantee that the macro is completely generic and will work on other systems without fail is by coding it manually. Or at least editing the recorded macro to build in some degree of awareness.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

lmrapp

Post by lmrapp » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Thanks to both of you!

Easy enough to start the program, but it (Linksys Viewer & Recorder) doesn't obey normal Windows conventions. Tab doesn't switch buttons although it does select cameras. There appear to be no hotkey combinations, but I need to experiment more. Alt-F4 seems to work to shut it down.

This only has to run on one machine - the server which is Windows 2003. If I can't find any hotkeys or tabs to move focus, I guess that means that if I'm forced to use recording and the mouse, is to do it all on that server.
--

Larry

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:01 pm

If you are going to record I would be tempted to move the window to the top left corner of the screen, 0,0 and then edit the recorded macro to use relative movements.

As I read the license you can install MS on your server PC to develop a macro if that's easier.

lmrapp

Post by lmrapp » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:12 am

I don't want to record mouse movements, but I don't see an alternative since there aren't any hot keys or tab movements. That said, I'll still keep looking.

I'll mess around with it tonight to see if I can find another way, but the only other alternative that I can think of is to use the dll. Oh well...
--

Larry

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:32 am

Recording mouse moves is OK if that's what works. But to get from a recorded macro to a robust and portable solution will take a bit of work beyond the record. I suggest you make a recording and post the result here and we can advise you further.

lmrapp

Post by lmrapp » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:47 pm

Ok, great idea. I'm still speaking with Linksys, though, to see if they'll give me the name of the function that they must call from the dll. I doubt they'll tell me, but if they do, I can always to that.

FWIW, I think I will leave their application running. Then I will run a series of macros. Each one will:

1. delete any files in a directory
2. click the camera icon (mouse movements)
3. ftp the file to a remote directory changing the name to weatherX.jpg where x will increment with each macro and will overwrite any existing file with the same name on the website.

That seems to be the simplest way to get a daily series of jpgs up onto my site. What do folks think? I'll post a macro here.
--

Larry