Is the full list of system variables documented in 1 place?

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Is the full list of system variables documented in 1 place?

Post by Baldrik » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:58 am

After the last query I see there's a %CR% variable provided. I eventually searched the whole pdf manual on the offchance there might be one and there it was, mentioned in Chapter 3 about the sample notepad script - but how am I supposed to know to look there??? All these variables surely need to be be documented in the System Variables section, or at least in one place, else how do we find them - we can't always guess their name correctly then hope to search for?

Is there an %LF% - doing a Msg>==%LF%== suggests there might be (it doesn't come out as literally percentLFpercent).

Could I compare with any hex char, %asc(FE)% or something?

Have I missed some thing or is the language not really up to dealing with random hex codes that might appear in a file, should I go to vbscript for that.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:41 am

Use the Help files that are included with Macro Scheduler.

Search the index for "variables" (with the s)
From the choices that come up on the right side, select "System Variables".

This list is not all inclusive, you will still find some "command"variables included with the help for some commands, but this will get you the "system" variables that Macro Scheduler uses.

You will find %LF% listed there.

Macro Scheduler has VB Script included, no need to go elsewhere.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:03 am

Hi Baldrik,

The content of the PDF file isn't updated as often as you may wish.

The online help (press F1 in the main Macro Scheduler window) should be your best source of the latest technical reference. For topics on variables, click the Index tab (on the top left). You can see % as the first item. Click it. On the right pane, you can find the System Variables (User Defined Variables, Arrays, Explicit Variable Resolution - AREXPLICIT, System Variables).

Alternatively, you can highlight any script in the main Macro Scheduler window. Press Ctrl-S. Now you're in the editor of the script. Press Alt+DW. Press F8. You can see a default list of system variables shown on the right pane (Watch List).

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:05 am

Bob,

Is it true that VBscript support is only available to the professional version? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:59 am

Hi,

In the help AND PDF, at the bottom of the System Variables topic you will see these lines:

CR Carriage Return
LF Line Feed
CRLF Carriage Return, Line Feed Combination (to force a new line)

Command Reference/Variables/System Variables
Using Macro Scheduler/Using Variables

VBScript is in both versions of Macro Scheduler.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:17 pm

Thanks guys, excellent replies as usual despite my somewhat grumpy / frustrated query.

If I ever really need the random hex compare (ie other than x'0A' or x'0D') I'll try to think of a way, maybe reading a file in & midstr'ing it into a set of variables or something.

I must have an already-out-of-date PDF - the Valentines Day version (for 7.3.10.3) - couldn't find CR/LF/CRLF in the System Variable section there - support must do a better job updating it than armsys would have us believe!

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:21 pm

Strange. It's definitely in the 7.3.10.3 version because we added those variables over a year ago!
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:31 pm

Oh.

I just checked - date of manual is 14th feb - 08:46 (downloaded with Net Transport keeping your date).

System Variables start halfway down page 132 after the VAREXPLICIT bit. Last name on last page (133) of section is INPUT_PASSWORD, then next page is start of Index.

Is this the same as yours?? The only older one I've got is 26 Nov. Haven't seen a later one yet, thought I looked on 17th when 7.3.10.3 came out. Will d/l now to get refresh anyway.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:37 pm

Well waddya know. The PDF is truncating that page. I was looking at the .CHM version. Which is fine. Looks like the PDF has had that page truncated for goodness knows how long! Will sort it immediately.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]