Message prevents later ModalMessage waiting for ok click

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Message prevents later ModalMessage waiting for ok click

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:33 am

Hi,
This seems to be reproducable, on win98se (not tried elsewhere).

Script, being run from main window (not in editor) is:

Let>STAY_ON_TOP=1
MessageModal>1 - modal - ok waits
Wait>1
Message>2 - message - ok no wait
Wait>1
MessageModal>3 - modal - but doesn't wait for me to click
wait>1
MessageModal>4 - modal - same - doesn't wait when it should
Wait>1
Goto>fin
Label>fin

...the modal messages 3 & 4 wait properly if the non-modal message 2 is commented out.

Version is 7.3.10e, and still seems to happen on 7.3.10.1 (including after the reboot which completed the install). I tried Wednesday's version after seeing it mentioned in the previous entry in this forum, and wondering since the fix was for other modal probs whether this issue was known...

Regards

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:27 am

Hi Baldrik,

You're rest assured that MessageModal works flawlessly.
Your script contains trailing spaces and invisble characters.
Once I deleted all those ghost characters, your script ran as expected, namely, all 3 MessageModal> did wait for my clicking of Ok.
Happy scripting.

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:59 am

Did you (does anyone else?) get the problem before removing any blanks (do others see the blanks?) - it could be the modal problem was introduced at level 7.3.08e (I haven't got an older version).

Couldn't I legally have blanks at the end of at least the texts for the message & messagemodal lines anyway?

A strange thing to do with apparent blanks in the forum copy: I cut'n pasted from the web page back to a different pc, and there were no blanks at end of lines, ran it, got the problem, then looked at the script file in a hex editor - each line ends normally in x'0D' x'0A' ie crlf. (I didn't think I would have left spaces in the real script, can't check now am at a different place, but maybe the blanks came in as part of the cutnpaste into the posting).

So for me, the problem remains - 3 messagemodal with NO intervening message verb do their waiting properly, but WITH an intervening message the later ones don't wait - have reproduced here on NT4 too now.

Can anyone else get this error? I tried copying the script here again but preview shows blanks, wheres the same copy pasted into notepad shows no blanks, so there really aren't any...

Let>STAY_ON_TOP=1
Wait>1
Wait>1
Wait>1

Regards

Luciano
Junior Coder

Post by Luciano » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:09 am

Sorry Armsys, when I copy and paste the script in the Macro scheduler Editor, I do not see any trailing character. The Show All Chars in the Edit Menu is always on and I see nothing. Even after reducing all the messages to a simple number 1,2,3,and 4, the script is still running like Baldrik’s example. Also after completely retyping of the script, it's still running like the first example.

What's the meaning of the Let>STAY_ON_TOP=1 statement? Do you mean Let>MSG_STAYONTOP=1?

I'm running XP professional (SP1) with ms version 7.10.1

Luciano

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:18 am

Let>STAY_ON_TOP=1
Wait>1
Wait>1
Wait>1

The above script I edited with Multi-Edit 9.10.04. I ran it several times again but found nothing unusual. All MessageModal> did stop to wait for clicking OK. You may want to copy the above script to give it a shoot.

I recalled when editing your original script I found some control character between Wait>1 and MessageModal>3..... Therefore, once you delete the problematic Wait>1, you're home free. Good luck!

BTW, it's perfectly OK to have trailing space(s) at the end of the Message> or MessageModal>.

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:27 am

Hi Luciano,

That's weird. In fact, when testing Baldrik's script, after completing the test run, Macro scheduler pops up a message warning about trailing spaces. After turning on Edit>Show All Chars, all trailing spaces and a invisible char showed up.

You're correct about the misspelling of the system variable, ie, Msg_STAYONTOP. In this case, Macro Scheduler simply treats Let>STAY_ON_TOP=1 as a user-defined variable.
Last edited by armsys on Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:33 am

Thanks, Luciano, I wasn't dreaming it all! Needs fixing then?

You're right about meaning Let>MSG_STAYONTOP=1, must have remembered it badly, or maybe I saw other name somewhere else it should be.

I see now there is a way to avoid getting blanks on the end of each script line in a forum entry when cut'npasting, by using the 'Code' tag (or direct typing etc) to make a preformatted block, like this

no blank at end of this line

Regards

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:36 am

Hi Baldrik,

Have you resolved your MessageModal> no show problem?

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:42 am

Hi armsys,

Answer is no, still have 3 & 4 not waiting unless I comment out the non-modal 3.

I read Luciano's post as meaning he got the problem too - "...it ran as baldriks first example".

Thanks for the interest.

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:43 am

sorry, I meant to summarise as

still have 3 & 4 not waiting unless I comment out the non-modal 2.

Luciano
Junior Coder

Post by Luciano » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:43 am

Hi Armsys,

Sorry, but your edited script is still running badly on my computer.

Luciano

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:47 am

Thanks for the clarification, Luciano.

Armsys, are you waiting more than a second before clicking the ok on messagemodal 3 & 4 - all the messages wait a second because of the "wait>1", the problem is 3 & 4 ONLY wait a secons, indicating the modal part didn't kick in.

Regards

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:49 am

Don't worry - this has nothing to do with trailing blanks!

The reason is just that the message box is a single object and is already present when you try to make it modal. If you close the non-modal box before the messagemodal command it will appear modal correctly. You're just running into the limitations of the way it works.

Of course, if you want you can create your own dialogs that work how you want them.

But here's an undocumented feature that hasn't been fully tested. Set MSG_MULTI to 1 at the start of your script and it will create separate message boxes - so your non-modal one will stay present when a new modal one opens when you call MessageModal:

Let>MSG_MULTI=1
Message>Hello
Wait>1
MessageModal>Hello 2

As I said MSG_MULTI hasn't been fully tested which is why it hasn't been documented, so be warned.

Enjoy.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:05 am

Hi Support,

Thanks for your rescue.

Baldrik & Luciano,

I ran the test again but this time I noticed that
MessageModal>MessageModal>3 - modal - but doesn't wait for me to click

didn't stop to wait for clicking "Ok." Sorry for my poor observation.

Baldrik
Junior Coder

Post by Baldrik » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:26 am

Thanks support, that makes sense.

What I'm trying to do is have progress of a script reported in a box, or series of boxes, with ideally only box in existence at a time, AND be able to decide which ones are "hold ups" (ie they wait for a mouse click or enter key) and which ones aren't hold-ups (ie they go away after a small wait). I see why they go away now, it seems unfortunate that the single message box's property can be changed from modal to non-modal but not the other way - a limitation of windows, or needs specific code in MS??

The first way I tried was
- Message - for the non-hold-ups and with no intentioin of actually clicking them, and
- Ask - for the hold-ups

the advantage of Ask is that you can choose whether to stop the script, eg

Ask>...ok to continue?,ok
If>%ok%YES,fin

but the disavantage is the ask box seems rather small so can't hold much of a message text, whereas MessageModal can be in a wider box set by

Let>MSG_WIDTH=... etc, and can be positioned explicitly.

So maybe you can see why I headed for a mixture of modal & non-modal Message's.

I can see that if I use MSG_MULTI there's a risk of filling memory with thousands of non-modal message objects.... would that happen with Dialogs too? any suggestion?

Thanks & Regards