regex multi/single line mode

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

optoron

regex multi/single line mode

Post by optoron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:13 pm

does regex in ms support multi/single line mode.. ??

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:03 pm

Yes, both are supported.

If you have a string consisting of multiple lines, like first line\nsecond line (where \n indicates a line break), it is often desirable to work with lines, rather than the entire string. Therefore, you have the option to expand the meaning of both anchors. ^ can then match at the start of the string (before the f in the above string), as well as after each line break (between \n and s). Likewise, $ will still match at the end of the string (after the last e), and also before every line break (between e and \n).

You have to explicitly activate this extended functionality. It is traditionally called "multi-line mode". Modifiers are used to do that, here are the four modes:

/i makes the regex match case insensitive.
/s enables "single-line mode". In this mode, the dot matches newlines.
/m enables "multi-line mode". In this mode, the caret and dollar match before and after newlines in the subject string.
/x enables "free-spacing mode". In this mode, whitespace between regex tokens is ignored, and an unescaped # starts a comment.

Examples:
(?m) turns on multi-line mode, (?-m) turns it off.
(?i-sm) turns on case insensitivity, and turns off both single-line mode and multi-line mode.

-------------------
These comments above are summaries of info available at: http://www.regular-expressions.info
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi optoron and Bob,

Specifically, info on those RegEx Modifiers can be found here: http://www.regular-expressions.info/refadv.html
example out-take from info at above link wrote:(?i)

Turn on case insensitivity for the remainder of the regular expression. (Older regex flavors may turn it on for the entire regex.)
Note: Most of the time, you'll probably want to place your Modifiers at the start of your RegEx expression so they all apply immediately... but I am thinking that with the modern PCRE RegEx flavor used in Macro Scheduler, we can probably flip these modifiers both on and off multiple times in different locations within a single RegEx expression if desired.

I have not tested this, but if anyone knows and can confirm or deny, please do.

Take care
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

optoron

Post by optoron » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 am

sorry for the late reply.
and cheers for the info..

is this the correct regex for taking out a single line that contains (pos)
within a readfile??

Code: Select all

regex>(?m)^.+(pos).+$,txt,m_a,no_m,0

i keep getting the whole of the file instead!!?? i tried it out in editpad and that seen to work.. but not in ms??
it's not that important as i can use pos> to test individual line.. but i was just starting in regex as it seems to be alot quicker.. especially with a 170,00 lines file... so this question..
jpuziano wrote:Hi optoron and Bob,

Note: Most of the time, you'll probably want to place your Modifiers at the start of your RegEx expression so they all apply immediately... but I am thinking that with the modern PCRE RegEx flavor used in Macro Scheduler, we can probably flip these modifiers both on and off multiple times in different locations within a single RegEx expression if desired.
lol..that's way beyond my league..lol.. can't even imagine how to write a regex for that..!!

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 am

Try this:

regex>^.*\(pos\).*\n,%txt%,0,vMatchSet,vMatchNumber,1,,vNewTxt
Syntax: RegEx>pattern,text,easypatterns,matches_array,num_matches,replace_flag[,replace_string,replace_result]

Breakdown of syntax with sample above
RegEx>
pattern = ^.*\(pos\).*\n
text = %txt%
easypatterns = 0
matches_array = vMatchSet
num_matches = vMatchNumber
replace_flag = 1
replace_string =
replace_result = vNewTxt

This looks for ^.*\(pos\).*\n in the variable %txt%, and replaces it with nothing. The modifier is not needed.

This should remove all lines that have "(pos)" anywhere on the line. The new file will be in %vNewTxt%

--------------
NOTE: That this is untested, do not have access to Macro Scheduler right now.
===========================
that's way beyond my league..lol.
He is only bringing up the usage of something like using(?i) and (?-i) in multiple places in the search, like this, toggling case sensitivity:
RegEx>^(?-i)Fredxyz(?i)[F-M](?-i)RsT,text,easypatterns,matches_array,num_matches,replace_flag[,replace_string,replace_result]
I have not yet tried this in Macro Scheduler but have used it in other programs with RegEx tools. I suspect that it works fine here also, but would like to have it confirmed if someone has done this.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Bob,

I tried out your suggestion and it does not seem to work. I tried turning on multi line mode but that did not help. Here is a simple test of your regex:

Let>lines_from_file=1st line%CRLF%2nd line contains (pos)%CRLF%3rd line

MDL>lines_from_file

regex>^.*\(pos\).*\n,%lines_from_file%,0,vMatchSet,vMatchNumber,1,,vNewTxt

MDL>vNewTxt
The two MDL commands display the text before and after. It should be removing only the 2nd line but it removes more.

Here is a different regex which seems to work...

Let>lines_from_file=1st line%CRLF%2nd line contains (pos)%CRLF%3rd line

MDL>lines_from_file

regex>(?=(\r\n)).*?\(pos\).*?(?=($|\r\n)),%lines_from_file%,0,match_array,number_of_matches,1,,vNewTxt

MDL>vNewTxt
...though it does have a weakness... if (pos) is in the very first line, it will not remove it.

Open challenge - can anyone tweak the above regex so that it takes care of that as well?

Assumptions:
- Windows/DOS format i.e. every line ends with CRLF
- except perhaps the very last line, that may or may not end in CRLF but even so, if that line contains (pos), the regex should remove that line
jpuziano

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 am

Hi Bob and optoron,

Ahh... now I see... here is something that works in all cases.

This will remove any line from a multi-line text blob that contains (pos)

Let>lines_from_file=1st (pos) line%CRLF%2nd line%CRLF%3rd (pos) line

MDL>lines_from_file

regex>(?m-s)^.*\(pos\).*(\r\n|$),%lines_from_file%,0,vMatchSet,vMatchNumber,1,,vNewTxt

MDL>vNewTxt
I used two modifiers:

(?m-s)
the good folks at [url]http://www.regular-expressions.info/refadv.html[/url] mostly wrote:(?m) Caret and dollar match after and before newlines for the remainder of the regular expression. (Older regex flavors may apply this to the entire regex.)

(?-s) Turn off "dot matches newline" for the remainder of the regular expression.

(?m-s) This combines both of the above... though they could also be used separately as (?m)(?-s)
The regex above is written assuming Windows/DOS line terminators i.e. CRLF.

To make it work with UNIX files that just use LF for a line terminator, replace \r\n with just \n in the regex expression.

Let us know if this works for you optoron... and thanks for posting the question.

Take care
jpuziano

optoron

Post by optoron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:27 am

jpuziano wrote:Hi Bob and optoron,

Let>lines_from_file=1st (pos) line%CRLF%2nd line%CRLF%3rd (pos) line

MDL>lines_from_file

regex>(?m-s)^.*\(pos\).*(\r\n|$),%lines_from_file%,0,vMatchSet,vMatchNumber,1,,vNewTxt

MDL>vNewTxt
I used two modifiers:

(?m-s)
it works!! at 1st i thought if it could be the [dot] that's causing the trouble (dot matches new line), but i can't seem to find anything on it for the regex.. in the end, it still did not work. i was about to give up.. but thank you all for helping..

cheers jpuziano for the solution!!
Bob Hansen wrote:
RegEx>^(?-i)Fredxyz(?i)[F-M](?-i)RsT,text,easypatterns,matches_array,num_matches,replace_flag[,replace_string,replace_result]
I have not yet tried this in Macro Scheduler but have used it in other programs with RegEx tools. I suspect that it works fine here also, but would like to have it confirmed if someone has done this.
that works too.. hmm, i might be able to use that later on... nice find!!