Problem configuring script

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

CMS_305

Problem configuring script

Post by CMS_305 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:10 pm

Question regarding an article posted by MTETTMAR.

Posted on: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:27 pm
Post subject: When a new file is found, email it

The link to the article is: http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... b0686f9bf9

I'm having problems with line 06) that asks me to set up my server. here's the original script:

01) //The incoming folder
02) Let>InFolder=d:\infiles
03) //Processed Log File
04) Let>ProcessedLog=d:\processed.log
05) //Sendmail vars

06) Let>server=mail.server.com

07) Let>to=[email protected]
08) Let>from=[email protected]
09) Let>fromname=Fred
10) Let>subject=New file for you
11) Let>body=New file for you

Here is what I've configured:

01) //The incoming folder
02) Let>InFolder=c:\Files to be emailed
03) //Processed Log File
04) Let>ProcessedLog=c:\processed.log
05) //Sendmail vars

06) Let>server=smtphm.sympatico.ca

07) Let>to=[email protected]
08) Let>from=[email protected]
09) Let>fromname=CMS
10) Let>subject=New file added to email folder.
11) Let>body=Here's the latest file added to the email folder.

My outgoing mail SMTP is: smtphm.sympatico.ca

As a test, I'm trying to send the files in the predetermined folder to my self using Outlook Express. It appears as though the files are being sent by the script, I get no errors. But I am not receiving them back. Actually, I have no concrete proof that the files are being sent in the first place. If I go into my Outlook Express SENT folder I see that NO files have been sent.

I've also tried to send and receive files with my hotmail account setting, I'm setting the server as: mail.hotmail.com, but without success. I've tried many different server variations on line 06 for both my sympatico and hotmail accounts, but I just can't seem to get it right.

My question is, Am I setting the server information in line 06) correctly? I'm suspecting that I'm not.

If anyone with more experience can help me I would be grateful. Thank you.

CMS_305

Solved my own problem.

Post by CMS_305 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 pm

I managed to solve this one, never the less; thank you to all of you who would have replied.

It turns out that the server info that I was configuring was wrong. A while ago, my service provided merged with hotmail and the outgoing SMTP service went from being SMTP8 to SMTPHM (HM for hotmail). So in line 06) of the code I set my server to be smtphm.sympatico.ca and nothing seemed to work. So after countless tries and different variations It ocurred to me to try the old smtp8 setting and it worked.
That's B.S. though, I don't see how logic could have helped solve this one, instead I had to take stabs in the dark until hours later by chance and by planetary alignment alone I stumbled into the solution. Anyways, thanks for the script MTETTMAR, it's awesome!