Communication between Master and Slave Scripts

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

ichiban

Communication between Master and Slave Scripts

Post by ichiban » Fri May 16, 2008 3:59 am

I'm setting up some scripts in the master - slave format where the master will call each slave to do things by setting the values in an ini file. Right now slave one using IEAuto creates internet explorer and slave two will navigate to a website. Is there a way to pass the handle of the browser to be used in slave twos script?

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Fri May 16, 2008 4:34 am

Does this recently posted tip help?

ichiban

Post by ichiban » Fri May 16, 2008 6:28 pm

I was trying to do it with IEAUTO.dll But the tip has given me some ideas, thanks. Wish this place provided explanations on whats going on behind the code. Being fed code is like feeding man a fish.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri May 16, 2008 6:57 pm

More than happy to explain "what's going on behind the code" - but need a question before I can provide an answer. Which code are you referring to? What part of it do you need more explanation for? Ask away.

If you're referring to the tip linked to by Me_again - that uses a technique that enumerates all IE shell windows to find the IE window with the URL matching the one specified. Once it finds it it then sets an object reference to that IE object. You can then access IE's objects and properties, such as the Document Object Model (DOM). The IE DOM allows you to interact with elements within the document such as links, form fields and all other html tags. If you want documentation on the IE Document Object Model I'd need to refer you to Microsoft's web site although there are some basic examples here in the forums and included with Macro Scheduler. But for an in depth reference you'd need to refer to Microsoft.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

ichiban

Post by ichiban » Sat May 17, 2008 7:58 am

Thanks