WebRecorder and Amazon

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

ZeitenWanderer
Pro Scripter

WebRecorder and Amazon

Post by ZeitenWanderer » Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi,

I was curious (and in a need) to try out WebRecorder with Amazon.de. Well, I guess, it will not make much of difference, which Amazon site it actually is.

Despite that WebRecorder can not possibly be any easier to use, I at least lack an idea how to grab the data for the article ordered as well as the address attached to it.

The way I figured out to go, would be
- find seller site
Now I would look at a table, which keeps changing (Yes, I have read the help and know about the tools options.)

Unfortunately that table only presents me order numbers and crippled info like:

02/05/2008 736-6178508-5693954
Songs from the Last Century [Audio CD] George Michael
Menge: 1 ASIN/ISBN: B000026AYH

I would have to click the order number first (starting with 736 in this example) to reach the next page, where I would have to click the next button to find the info I need.

This would now need to be extracted (forget about that part now) and afterwards I would need to return to the list and do the process all over again for the rest of the list.

Ok, the resulting question would be: Is there another much smarter way to go? Looking into the web-file source does not help much, since one still would have to use the one or similar procedure as is given above.

Amazon offers a database readable csv-format - if you are regular seller and are willing to spend 50 Euro a month for that service (which saves you the 10% costs you usually would have to give for each article). It is a good deal, if you do sell a lot there. Still private folks who only sell once in a while a bundle of products quickly hate the procedure - especially since now you have to use the site, since the email no longer contains the buyer`s address.

Any suggestions welcome.

ZeitenWanderer
Pro Scripter

Amazon offers api

Post by ZeitenWanderer » Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 am

Somewhat in the direction of an answer:

Amazon offers a free api - rather difficult, but not impossible to receive

To work around is possible, but not overall recommendable, since it it is not 100% reliable and not worth the leg work connected with it.