version 9 are you kidding?

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

ichiban

version 9 are you kidding?

Post by ichiban » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 am

How can you pettle this untested software? No wonder my customer doesn't want to sink any more money into mjtnets software. In one day I've found three severity one issues: crash, freeze, data corruption and I'm supposed to be testing my customers website.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:53 am

Instead of posting unhelpful reports like that perhaps you might want to consider contacting support with an explanation of the problems and we'll help you solve them. If there are bugs in our software we'll fix them. Ask anyone here how responsive and helpful we are. We've an 11 year track record with our software being used for all kinds of processes in all kinds of industries. I will personally back that up by helping you my self if given the chance to do so.

Many problems can occur as a result of things the script is doing to other apps or the environment. Apps being sent keystrokes to the wrong place, or at the wrong time, etc. We are often at the mercy of how other apps behave. But we can help you debug your scripts. In my experience the majority of problems are caused by scripting issues. But if there is a bug in our software, we'll fix it if we can and if we haven't already.

Let me help you. I can't help you based on your post above. I might like to send you the latest version to work with and take a look at your code. But your post makes that difficult to do.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:32 pm

I have been using Macro Scheduler for so long I can't recall not having it. There have been times with new releases, when a minor but might occur, but once pointed out, the fix was done almost immediately. The response by Marcus and MJT is second to none. Not only is the support immediate, it is professional and helpful.

And they also listen. I, and many others, have made numerous requests for features and enhancements, and have had the pleasure of seeing them incorporated in following releases.

This is not a database program, so the database corruption you mention must be in one of the applications your customer is trying to control, but it is not in Macro Scheduler. As you can see from Marcus' response, the real problem is most likely scripting errors. You cannot just "record" a script and expect to always perform the exact same way. Window positions change, mouse clicks need to be in diferent locations, race condtions occur. But Macro Scheduler has all the tools needed to deal with those issues.

I strongly urge you to submit your scripts where many people here, end users like myself, are ready to help you fine tune the scripts as needed. And Marcus has also made a personal offer to help you out. That is not unusual, that is the type of support and commitment I find here every day.

Good luck, I know you will be quite satisfied.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:38 pm

ichiban,

I agree with Bob. Macro Scheduler is so much a part of my daily activity I could not do my job without it.

I would add that aside from Macro Scheduler not having the capacity to make any change to any data that YOU did not tell it to make, it does have the power to do wonders with data manipulation. Very fast, reliable and repeatable. I've never seen or heard of any data corruption.

As for "crash" and "freeze", I can do that with any programming language even a poorly written DOS batch file can "crash" or "freeze" a computer. Does that make DOS "untested software?" Macro Scheduler is very thoroughly tested and is in a constant state of improvement. The support for Macro Scheduler is the best I've seen for any software. Post something more than a complaint to the forum and you'll find out what support should be like for all software.

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:40 pm

ichiban:

This is one of the least buggy softwares I have used for a long time (beta testing is SO boring), and Marcus is one of the most professional and supportive author/vendors I have dealt with in many years of computing. He'll surely prove that by being very helpful to you despite your very rude comments.

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

ichiban,
Would you be very kind enough to tell us more about your script and the exact nature of the problem which failed you? We are eager to help you out.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Re: version 9 are you kidding?

Post by jpuziano » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi ichiban,
ichiban wrote:I've found three severity one issues: crash, freeze, data corruption
Finding issues is only the first setp... next is determining the cause and finally... coming up with a solution.

If your issue/s turn out to be caused by Macro Scheduler, all of us would benefit if they were fixed... so please take the time to post more details.

As you can see by the replies so far, there's no shortage of people willing to help.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

EnderFFX
Pro Scripter

Re: version 9 are you kidding?

Post by EnderFFX » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:18 pm

ichiban wrote:How can you pettle this untested software? No wonder my customer doesn't want to sink any more money into mjtnets software. In one day I've found three severity one issues: crash, freeze, data corruption and I'm supposed to be testing my customers website.
Post an example of your code so we can go through it.

Ianw
Junior Coder

Post by Ianw » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:08 am

I have dealt with many software companies, large and small, in the past 18 years.

Never, I repeat, never have I dealt with a more helpfull and friendly company then mjtnet.

Ask for help in this forum e.g., and you will get a reply in quick time. Also, take note of the previous posts in this thread.
Many thanks
Ianw

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:05 pm

It is an unfortunate part of developing any application that you will always get users (usually illegal ones) that will post things like "it doesn't work properly", without any explanation or comments.

Funnily enough I have just had one today posted on a public forum (not even on my own support forum):
i cant get this thingy to work properly

it keeps giving me Errors
Needless to say when I checked my database this user had not purchased the product.

This stuff just deserves nothing more than a :roll:

Although, as developers it always hurts us to get comments like that, that's for sure.
Phil Pendlebury - Linktree

putmann
Junior Coder

Post by putmann » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:29 pm

I have been using MS since 1999. It's the best MACRO tool out there. Minimal bugs and I just converted to 9.2.

edauthier
Pro Scripter

Post by edauthier » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:30 am

Hats off to Marcus and company in allowing this post to remain and not remove it. Typically a moderator will remove any dreadful comments about their product. That in and of itself displays major credibility in Macro Scheduler. I do not have a more reliable piece of software.

Period.

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:48 am

edauthier wrote:Hats off to Marcus and company in allowing this post to remain and not remove it. Typically a moderator will remove any dreadful comments about their product. That in and of itself displays major credibility in Macro Scheduler. I do not have a more reliable piece of software.

Period.
Indeed, an example to us all. :)
Phil Pendlebury - Linktree