Find Window Name

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

nbell

Find Window Name

Post by nbell » Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:02 pm

Can anyone tell me how to find the proper name of a window so MS can focus on it. Sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't. I tried the "View System Windows" under tools but I'm not sure what I'm looking at and I can't find any documentation that explains that function. Thank you.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:08 pm

:idea: Have you tried using the WindowSpy utility from MJTNet?

Sometimes this can be very helpful in getting the correct name for a window that actually is named differently from what you may think.

nbell

WindowSpy

Post by nbell » Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:39 pm

Well... I am at mjtnet... and I can't find anything about WindowSpy utility... can you give me a clue?

Thanks

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:03 pm

I also could not find it on the MJT website.

My copy was in a file named windowspy.zip. It is dated 1998. I got it when I first registered my copy of Macro Scheduler. I don't recall if it was part of the registered copy of Macro Scheduler or a free add-on.

I will be glad to send you a copy if it was a free add on. If it is part of the registered package, you will have to get it from MJT.

I guess we should ask Marcus to add this utility back to the download list.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:12 pm

Hi,

In Macro Scheduler, select the 'Tools' menu and select 'View System Windows'.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:20 pm

That is useful to have included within Macro Scheduler, but the WindowsSpy utility has other features to help identify Visible from Hidden, ability to toggle visibility, sort by different columns, etc.

I think that many users may still prefer to have that utility available in addition to the built in tool. Will it be made available in the future?

Is it OK to send a copy to other Macro Scheduler users, or is it part of registered package? I don't want to violate any licensing issues.

bernie
Junior Coder

Post by bernie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:04 am

I realize this is an ancient thread, but after a surprisingly long hiatus [after moving to a new computer], I discovered taht 1) I needed windowspy, and 2) I confess that I just cannot figure out how to use the 'view system windows' tool.

I got almost 700 items in thelist [and since there's a 'refresh' button, I guess I need to keep clicking it to watch windows come and go as I start up this program I"m interested in and try to watch what windows it creates when and such... Is there some way to use the system-windows tool to get the same sort of [much more simplified] info that we used to get from windowspy??
/Bernie\

Danish_Ken
Junior Coder

Post by Danish_Ken » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:40 am

bernie:

I use this little script and added a hot key to it.
Requires that the window you want to obtain the Title from has the current focus.

//Start Script
Wait>1.0
GetActiveWindow>WhereAmI,x,y
PutClipBoard>%WhereAmI%
MessageModal>>%WhereAmI%<%CRLF%%x%%CRLF%%y%%CRLF%Window Title has been copied to the clipboard
//End Script
Macro Scheduler since Version 5.0 - 21/10/1998

bernie
Junior Coder

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:44 pm

I cute idea... I'll give it a try. My problem is that I can see that the program makes several windows [splash screen, etc] as it starts up and I suspect that if I do a WaitWindowOpen on its title I'll get one of the earlier ones...

It is a fascinating idea thast since what I really need is a dynamic window-watcher and not a static window-list, you really can do it with MSched itself .... thanks for the sample script and the idea!!!
/Bernie\