Macros Not Saving

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

adunaway

Macros Not Saving

Post by adunaway » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:38 pm

I am having trouble with macros which seem to disappear or lose their schedule.

I open macro scheduler, double click my macro, select the Run When tab and enter a time/select appropriate days. I clicked OK. The new time and schedule show up in the list of macros so everything looks good. When I have been idle for 15 minutes, I have to re-enter my password to log in. When I do, the macro has lost the time and schedule that I had just entered.

Also, something similar happens when I try to create a new folder for my macros. I right click the All Macros folder and create a new one. I hold control and select all the macros I would like to move. I drag and drop the macros in the new folder. I select the new folder to be sure all the macros have been moved...yep, everything looks perfect. Fifteen minutes later I re-enter my windows password to log in and the folder is still there but now it's empty.

I have had other problems, perhaps unrelated but similar. I save macros and they just disappear from the list alltogether. I can go to my computer and look on c\program files\mjtnet\macros and the macro will be there as a macro file but it no longer shows on macro scheduler when I open it. So I have to open the macro file, copy it, and create a new macro on macro scheduler and paste from the existing file. A few days later it will be gone and I have to do the same thing all over again.

Any suggestions or things I can look at?

As info, running Windows 2003 standard edition.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Re: Macros Not Saving

Post by jpuziano » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:46 pm

josh432 wrote:I have had other problems, perhaps unrelated but similar. I save macros and they just disappear from the list altogether. I can go to my computer and look on c\program files\mjtnet\macros and the macro will be there as a macro file but it no longer shows on macro scheduler when I open it. So I have to open the macro file, copy it, and create a new macro on macro scheduler and paste from the existing file.
Hi josh432,

Disappearing macros - I recently had the same thing happen on the Home PC XP SP2 using the 9.0.025 beta. I created a new macro, tested it, went back in and made changes, saved, exited, tested again etc., and over a period of 1/2 hour, the code inside the macro disappeared 3 times. The .scp file was still there but empty, file size 0 KB. I switched on the "Backup on Save" option under the "Tools" menu in the Advanced Editor after the 2nd disappearance... so I'd always have a backup copy of the macro file to copy and paste back into the macro and continue, similar to what you did.

I thought this was only happening with the beta... What version of Macro Scheduler are you running? Has this been happening for a while or just started happening after a version upgrade or...?

Anyone else out there ever have this happen?
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

adunaway

answers

Post by adunaway » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 pm

We are running Macro Scheduler 8.0

I just purchased the software recently so this is the only version I have ever used.

This problem has been occurring since we started using the software, although it seems to happen somewhat randomly.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:16 pm

Any chance you could zip up all your .scp and .dat files and email to support so that we can take a look and try to figure out what is happening?
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:26 pm

I don't think the two of you have the same problem. It sounds like josh432's issue has to do with not exiting cleanly out of Macro Scheduler. Or perhaps the screen saver is causing memory to be corrupted or deleted. Marcus has stated here:
whereas Macro Scheduler loads this (Macro.dat) into memory on startup and works in memory.
From this I would conclude that the macro.dat file isn't updated until you close Macro Scheduler. I assume that Groups.dat works the same way. Since all group and macro name information is stored in these files, any changes made to groups or macro names will disappear if Macro Scheduler is somehow "crashed" rather than cleanly exited so that the information in memory isn't written back to the .dat files.

On the other hand, last weekend I experienced what I think jpuziano is refering to. Its never happened before so I thought I had done something wrong. Using the beta version (I think my home computer is on beta 9.0.18) I opened a small preexisting script, worked on it a bit, ran it in the editor, locked up Macro Scheduler, opened Windows Task Manager to end the msched.exe process, reopened Macro Scheduler, reopened the script in the editor and the script was empty.

Later,
Dick

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:43 pm

Indeed, if Macro Scheduler crashes or is terminated such that it doesn't close down properly then any changes in memory to macros.dat will not get saved.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:27 pm

josh432,

Meant to say this in the previous post but I got sidetracked and forgot. Try making some changes for example, move a macro from one group to another. Then use File > Exit to exit out of Macro Scheduler. Reopen Macro Scheduler and confirm that the change is still in place, then let your screensaver run for 15 minutes and see if the change is still there.

Let us know what happens,
Dick