Debug mode -step by step - tracing mode, breakpoints

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

matthiasR
Pro Scripter

Debug mode -step by step - tracing mode, breakpoints

Post by matthiasR » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:08 am

Hi,

i know i can run the script in a kind of debug mode from adv editor.
Why not include a function,that the user can activate an automatic step by step mode. He just press once F8 to enter the "Debug Step" mode. The user now could decide, if he wants to press F8 again for each step or another button to run the script step by step with a delay between the steps in a tracing mode. It should further be possible to predefine the delay by the user.

And the possibility to define a trigger value would be great. The tracing would stop/pause when a variable is set to that trigger value.
And of course breakpoints for the tracing mode. The tracing mode should stop/pause, if a special command e.g. breakpoint is found. At this point the user could decide again, if he wants to continue again step by step by pressing F8, continue with tracing mode or continue the script in normal run mode.

The breakpoints should only detected in debug mode.

What do you think?

Btw: Another thing is, why not allow the user to switch from the F8-mode to the normal running mode.

Matthias

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 am

I like your suggestions for switching from step to trace, and the ability to apply variable value breakpoints. I'll add these to the list. It's probably too late for 10.0 but we could try and get these in for a 10.x update sometime next year.

>Btw: Another thing is, why not allow the user to switch
>from the F8-mode to the normal running mode.

This is already possible in version 10. V10 also lets you set multiple breakpoints. See the beta forum for details.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

matthiasR
Pro Scripter

Post by matthiasR » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:28 pm

This is already possible in version 10. V10 also lets you set multiple breakpoints. See the beta forum for details
Shame on me. I had already installed the beta on my machine, but had not the time to check the improvements yet.

Matthias