Better ability to grab windows

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Kwhiz
Junior Coder

Better ability to grab windows

Post by Kwhiz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:43 am

Currently, you have only one command that you can use to identify a window. That's the GAW command, which returns the window name. However, there are many windows that don't seem to work well with this command. Windows such as child windows and alert windows, and certain windows where the title is constantly changing.

You need better window grabbing ability. Taking some information from another shareware program I have, I'd say you need three things in order to grab a window correctly and absolutely. They are:

1. Window class
2. Window title
3. Program location (eg, C/ProgramFiles/Whatever)

Well, it's just a suggestion. Hopefully future editions of Macroscheduler will be better able to grab and identify ALL windows.

Thanks for listening,
kwhiz

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:46 pm

All these things can already be done by use of Win32 API functions FindWindow, FindWindowEx and LibFunc. You can also tell GetActiveWindow to look only at child windows by setting GAW_TYPE to 1.

While what you ask for is easily done already with the FindWindow and FindWindowEx functions I agree that we could further encapsulate them into simpler functions.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Kwhiz
Junior Coder

Post by Kwhiz » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks Marcus. I no longer have the need at the moment for moving child and alert windows, but the next time the need arises I will check out those two functions you mentioned.

Thanks again,
Kwhiz