Several Newbie Issues

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

deadbolt

Several Newbie Issues

Post by deadbolt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Just upgraded my 8.x version to the latest 12.x... obviously I haven't used this program in quite some time. I have a simple, simple need to Telnet into a firewall and reboot it. A process that I thought would take just a few minutes but...

an hour later I'm fraught with all sorts of problems. First is that I have a basic starting point for a macro and whenever I go to edit it a window pops up and asks me if I'd like to view the Beginner's Guide. That sounds like a dandy idea! Whether I answer yes or no it simply takes me into the editor.

Oh well, I'm in the editor and excited about these built in Telnet command. I don't need to call up anybody else's Telnet program. So I go to Help->Command Reference and nothing happens. So I've been looking up all the commands just from the MJT web site.

I found someone else with the same issue... they're rebooting a router but same sort of thing... so I modeled after his macro editing mine to match the prompts/input/output for my situation and hit RUN.

After about a 15 second pause exactly nothing happens. I did go to the logging tab and told it to log to a text file. I found that it ONLY logs to a file if you DON'T run the macro from the editor is appears.

I tried throwing in this command...
MessageModal>TELENET_SESSIONLOG
and all I get is a pop up that says the word "TELENET_SESSIONLOG".

So here's my questions... forget the help thing and the beginners guide as I plan to write this one macro and probably never use Macro Scheduler for anything else.

1) I take it there's no way to interactively see the responses to telnetSend commands?
2) Is there anyway to even confirm that Macro Scheduler is even connection to my firewall?
3) Looking at my code below... any suggestions that might help me get to the next step down the road?

TelnetConnect>192.168.5.3,23,hTN
TelnetWaitFor>hTN,login,5,r
TelnetSend>hTN,kevin%CR%
TelnetWaitFor>hTN,Password,5,r
TelnetSend>hTN,MyPassword%CR%
TelnetWaitFor>hTN,Welcome,5,r
TelnetSend>hTN,exec reboot%CR%
MessageModal>TELENET_SESSIONLOG
TelnetClose>

Thanks for any advice you might be able to provide.

deadbolt

Post by deadbolt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 pm

I got most of my problems resolved... help still won't come up. etc., etc. I found that Windows 7 is not opening the help file C:\Program Files (x86)\Macro Scheduler 12\MSCHED.chm because it's zero bytes long... there's nothing in it.

I did find a PDF version of the documentation for Macro Scheduler here...
http://www.mjtnet.com/MacroSchedulerManual.pdf

Now armed with the instructions I did manage to muck and muddle way through. Quite a powerful program but I may chosen a grenade launcher to hunt rabbits.

Kevin

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 am

Hi,

If the help file is zero bytes long I would suggest you try reinstalling. The help file we supply is definitely larger than that! If still no go let me know and I'll send you a copy of the .chm file.

To interactively see the output of the Telnet commands use the debugger. Step through each line of the script with F8 and as you step past each line you will see the value of each variable in the watch list. And/Or look at the TELNET_SESSIONLOG variable - pop it up with a MessageModal if you want to see all the output in one go. Look at:
http://www.mjtnet.com/blog/2006/05/17/use-the-debugger/
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?