How to save a file remotely

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

nbell

How to save a file remotely

Post by nbell » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:49 pm

I was wondering if someone can help me with the following scenario.

We own an operate several orphanages in China.

Do to health concerns, when a person comes to our orphanage (both employees and visitors) they MUST check in at the security gate to be given a pass to proceed. As of now we use a paper document to record the person's name, date, time, temperature, purpose of visit etc. etc.

I have installed a remote, network computer in the security gate and now instead of using paper the guard on duty records all of the above information in Excel.

What I want to do with Macro Scheduler (Using version 9.1) is to automatically save the file to the host machine every five minutes or so. So far I have not bee able to find how to save a file with MS.

Thank you in advance for your help.

mileswilliams
Junior Coder

Post by mileswilliams » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am

I may be too late, to reply, but I think there is a simple resolution for this. Why not set excel to autosave the document to a network drive My computer - tools - map a network drive...

The remote guardhouse computer could autosave the document to it's "C:"drive then Macrocheduler could copy and paste to the networked computer. This could be scheduled for any time interval. This has the added "offsite backup" safety measure.

Macroscheduler could also FTP the file and e-mail it.
don't be a chicken little