What's the best way to do this?

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

s.newave

What's the best way to do this?

Post by s.newave » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:37 am

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting this to work and im sure there is an easier/better way to do this. Basically im trying to find a way to have my work pc automatically logoff then logon again at a specific time every night and then start outlook. The way i manually do this is by using logmein.com to login into my work pc, then logoff, wait for that to finish, log back in and finally start outlook. I've tried recording my mouse clicks/actions but this is not very reliable, especially seeing as i am not always sure what tthe state of my work pc is (i.e locked, logged off, or simply left on). I could also not find a way to automatically logoff/login at a specific time as i couldnt get around entering uname/passwd. Work pc is W2K btw.

Does anyone have suggestions on a better way to do this?

thx

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:37 am

1. One way is to create a macro on your home PC that is scheduled to run at desired time. That macro will use LogMeIn to connect to the work PC. It can then send the strings to log in. You could then have a macro on the work pc run from there which can look at the open windows to determine its status and respond acccordingly, Open Outlook and do what you want, then it can log off. Once you have completed the login from the home pc, that macro can disconnect LogMeIn, the work pc will continue to run

2. The latest version of Macro Scheduler has tools to allow logging in and running as a Service. Auto Login will allow you to set up the macro on the work system and not require a remote login from your home pc.

Search the forum here for Auto Login, there are over 40 topics that discuss this. Also check the Help Section of Macro Scheduler.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!