Recording not working

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

jety14

Recording not working

Post by jety14 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:23 pm

Here is my problem: I click record, type in a name and start. When I press CTRL-ALT-S to stop, the record macro screen comes up again. It does this everytime and does not give me any errors, but nothing is created. I have also tried another macro recording program and it says it's recording, it makes a file, but when I try to run it, nothing happens.

I'm currently using Windows 2000 Professional and I have tried the other program on a different computer running Windows XP.

I'm on a company computer that may not allow me to do certain things, but I'm not getting any errors so I don't know what to pin it to. This program works fine on my home computer. I'm pretty sure I have admin rights on this computer, so I don't think that's the problem. There must be some permission I need to record.

Please help.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Weird. Not sure what could be wrong but try rebooting and then next time you record choose a different stop key sequence (i.e. change from the default ctrl-alt-s to something else). See if that makes a difference.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

jety14

Post by jety14 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:02 pm

Tried that, doesn't work. One thing I notice is that the stop button does not become available when I begin to record. Also, the icon in the tray is flashing yellow. I assume that is what happens when you record.

I just can't figure out what would be causing this to happen. I have admin rights. But, even though I have rights, our IT morons have some things unavailable to me. For example, I cannot change my background on my desktop. So maybe there is some setting unavailable to me that the recording programs need in order to record properly.

jety14

Post by jety14 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:06 pm

I figure it's the security on our computers. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it.

doylal00

Post by doylal00 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:19 pm

I had Macro Scheduler (trial version) up and working on my computer but now the record function does not work.

If I record a new macro, it accepts the name of the new macro and I click OK on the popup box. Then when I go to perform the action I want to record (e.g., click on a link on a webpage or open MS Word) nothing happens.

I tried to stop recording the macro, thinking that something was hanging, but it comes up with an error that says "File not found". When I maximize Macro Scheduler the stop button is still active, but each time I click it, it says "File not found". I end up having to Exit out of Macro Scheduler entirely.

I have rebooted the computer and uninstalled/reinstalled Macro Scheduler 8.0.4 but the problem is still occuring.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:58 pm

So - it was working once and now it isn't? If that's the case something on the machine must have changed. Directory permissions - service packs? What's changed? Are you able to create an ordinary macro, manually? Where are your macros stored?
Marcus Tettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

doylal00

Post by doylal00 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:11 pm

No service packs were added and to my knowledge no permissions have changed. It was working this morning and now it's not. My macros are stored in C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler. I was able to manually create a simple macro which just opened notepad and sent a line of text. That macro was created and played without error. It appears to only be the record function that is erroring out.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:16 pm

Disk space?

doylal00

Post by doylal00 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Plenty of it - this is a relatively new laptop and I have 26 GB free on the C:\ drive.

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:59 pm

I have experienced situations at customer sites where the security is locked down so tight that MacroScheduler cannot create new files.

Has your system staff written something to remove things like Hooklib.dll, or disabled access to the Windows Scripting Host?

You might try having someone with local Admin rights install and try to record.

doylal00

Post by doylal00 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:19 pm

I do have admin rights on this machine. I just checked and hooklib.dll is in the Macro Scheduler directory (I'm assuming that's where it's supposed to be), and the Windows Scripting Host is enabled on this machine. Interestingly enough, I tried Macro Scheduler on my other laptop, which has a nearly identical configuration, and the record function does work.

doylal00

Post by doylal00 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:37 pm

Very interesting: I uninstalled/reinstalled Macro Scheduler again and rebooted the computer yet again. The record function is now working. Being me, I'm curious to know why it was doing that, but I am glad it's working again.

eleon

Post by eleon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm

I am using windows 7 64 bit and having this same trouble.

Unfortunately, this reinstalling did not work for me.. and everything else is the same...

Has anyone else has this trouble?

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:37 am

Which version of Macro Scheduler are you using and which version of Windows are you using? Older versions of Macro Scheduler which were released before Vista/Win7 were even a glint in Microsoft's eye were not fully compatible and used a different recording mechanism which was not fully supported by Vista/Win7. The first version of Macro Scheduler to be fully compatible with Win7 was v11.
Marcus Tettmar

yken

Post by yken » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi!
I had the same problem on "front page" a few time ego. I solwed it.
Does the Macro Scheduler not work only in a specific program? If so: see the link below...

http://www.mjtnet.com/usergroup/viewtop ... ght=#26964