Random Header/Script

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

pearshaped

Random Header/Script

Post by pearshaped » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:31 am

Hullo there. I have been reading through the posts in the beginner section and had a look through the .pdf manual regarding the Random Label/Header. I see advice was given some time ago to one forum member regarding running a script at random intervals, as below:

Label>start
Random>57,interval
Let>interval=interval+1
Let>interval=interval*60
Wait>interval
V
V
V
GoTo>start

I want to run a script that will run randomly between 1 and 90 mins. What figures do I need to change in the above script to achieve this, as I am unsure what the "Random>57,interval" and "Let>interval=interval*60" actually refer to? Is this the minutes?

Also I see there is an option to allow multiple instances of Macro Scheduler to run. I want to run 2 different scripts, randomly (say 1-90 mins) on the same web page. Is there a way to instruct MS to run one script at a time? that is the second script wont start running until the first script has finished , or make it so the second script just "misses a turn" if it tries to run when the first script is still running?

Thankyou, Josey

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Re: Random Header/Script

Post by Me_again » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:43 pm

pearshaped wrote: I want to run a script that will run randomly between 1 and 90 mins. What figures do I need to change in the above script to achieve this, as I am unsure what the "Random>57,interval" and "Let>interval=interval*60" actually refer to? Is this the minutes?
Have you looked at the Help or Manual? These commands are well documented.

"interval" is a variable.

Random generates a number between 0 and the specified number, so to generate 1 to 90 use:

Random>89,interval
Let>interval=interval+1

Wait needs a number in seconds so that's why interval is multiplied by 60

pearshaped

Post by pearshaped » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks for that Me_again...I did look through the manual but its a long complex manual :D Just a quick question if I may...whats the "+1" represent in the Interval +1?

Thanks, Josey

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:26 am

Interval+1 means exactly that: "interval plus one", or "add one to interval". It increments the value of interval by one. So:

Let>interval=interval+1

means:

interval takes the value of interval plus one.

Lets say interval was 1 to start with:

Set the value of interval to the value of interval plus one. The value of interval is 1, so we set the value of interval to 1 plus 1 which equals 2. So interval now holds the value 2.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:33 pm

...and the reason for adding 1 is that random generates numbers starting from zero, so if you want a random range starting at some number other than zero you have to add that number to the generated random number.