take data from email & put it into web entry page &

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

GeorgeKeen

take data from email & put it into web entry page &

Post by GeorgeKeen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:01 am

Hello,
I am a newbie, and wondering where to start.

You see, I receive numerous emails daily from several web sites. These include such information such as:
Subject: New Buyer Prospect
Name = John Jones
email = [email protected]
Phone = 606-312-1234
address = 123 Maple St
city = Novak
state = MI

property wanted:
city1 = Bradenton
city2 = Sarasota
Bedrooms = 3
Baths = 2
Motivation= soon as possible

The above is a consensus of the pattern the emails take. The several sources of the emails are not consistent. One might call the field NAME while another says PROSPECT, and another says BUYER. There are similar variations through out the other data. Also, most times, there is some information missing.

There is a MLS real estate web site I subscribe to. I would normally enter by hand such information there in its data entry page.

There is also a database, ACT! 2000, on my computer that I use and enter the information into, by hand. In both cases, there are occasional variations such as I mentioned regarding NAME, PROSPECT, CONTACT. These variations affect all the fields, and not all emails have the same fields.

Does the basic product have the ability to take the information and put it into such a web site data entry page, and also into the ACT! 2000 database?

I am so new that I don't know where to start. I learn best by short, simple examples, ones that I can follow and add to, even if it's only a small part of the big solution. Could it be script enough for an incoming email with Name = John Jones, and Phone = 941-776-1234, which then goes to a web data entry page where the Name is known as Contact Name and the Phone is known as Primary Phone. Further the Phone number must go into 3 separate fields/boxes:
[ ] [ ] [ ]. I expect to be able to create a module that can go to the web page, open the web page, logon and go the beginning of the data entry page, ready to find and insert the data.

Thanks for reading this far and considering a possibility for me.

George Keen <[email protected]
941 795-6262
20 year computer user,
but no PROGRAMMER.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:04 pm

The key thing may be the sequence of the data vs. the name of the fields.

If the data fields always follow the same sequence, you will have an easier process. If you can count field positions than a lot can be done to automate the processes you have described.

One of the easiest approaches might be to create some type of ASCII file with one email on each line, with the field contents in the same sequence on each line. You could also add more info to each line, such as data source/date/time, etc.

Most database programs can import an ASCII file and create unlimited numbers of records.

Sending data to a web page, the creation of the ASCII file, the opening of the database program and the import of the ASCII file are all things that you could do with Macro Scheduler.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

GeorgeKeen

take data from email & put it into web entry page

Post by GeorgeKeen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:22 am

Yes, it may be a good idea to do them in sequence, one email to a line, csv. Of course, since some emails vary the sequence and or the content, I'll need several , with filters typically based on what is in the supject, identifying one from another, and perhaps some "if __________ then, otherwise, " down to the next "if then", until all are considered. In the "if then" I can specify the action: 1. write to Act! Ver 6.0 and 2. write to the web data entry page.

Now, to figure out how to get started. I suppose I could collect emails of the past, and sort them based on commonality. Then when I have representative samples for each stack, I can begin.

Thanks agian for the idea.

[email protected]
[email protected]
http://BradentonHomes.US