Process status

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

timle
Pro Scripter

Process status

Post by timle » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:41 pm

If a status of an application in the Task Manager is " not responding" is it the same as not running?
Because if it's not running, I can have the script to run it bu it's not responding I have to stop it first and restart it

Thank you

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:21 pm

Not responding basically means it was started but has stalled/crashed. You do need to stop it before running it again. PSKILL is a useful utility that has been recommended on this forum.

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:52 pm

Hi Me_again and tleary,

"Not Responding" often involves more complicated issues such as virus, Windows Services and incompatible drivers. Macro Shceduler is hardly a desired tool to resolve the problem.

mmorrison

Post by mmorrison » Wed May 11, 2005 10:01 pm

Also consider: not every program that says 'not responding' is crashed. (a) - the program may simply be too 'busy' crunching a big task to talk right now (consider the program's function), or (b) - some other program can be hung or hogging resources, which can cause many other programs on the list to be reported as 'not responding'.

Running an XP machine with several apps on too little memory will give you this problem often - usually, given a little time, the apps will return control.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind... ~Marvin~