MSNet

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

BobDDstryr
Junior Coder

MSNet

Post by BobDDstryr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:32 am

I've having trouble getting MSNet to work on one of my machines. The machine is running VistaSP2, 32-bit. I'm running Macro Scheduler version 12.1.2, and MSNet 1.02. All firewalls are turned off. User Account Control is diabled, and the account that I'm installing with is an administrative account.

I started by installing Macro Scheduler. I then rebooted, and after it started up, quit Macro Scheduler, and ran the MSNet installation. I then went to the MSNet folder, and ran ServerSetup. I then rebooted the machine.

After coming up, I've then imported my macros into macro scheduler. Following advice from a previous post, I've tried running a script with the GUI using both its Ethernet IP Address and 127.0.0.1, the port number that I used when installing the script, and using the macro name, pointing to the actual macro script, etc., and no luck. It reports back "Unable to connect."

If I try running the same thing from the command line, I get "Protocol Error"

Am I missing something easy? Is there anything I can try to do to get more useful information about what's wrong?

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 am

Have you tried changing the port number? Perhaps the one you chose is already in use. Do you have any antivirus/antimalware software running? Try closing it down.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

BobDDstryr
Junior Coder

Post by BobDDstryr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:18 am

I hadn't tried a different port, but have tried a few now, but they didn't work.

No - I don't have any virus protection on this machine - it basically is a fresh install, with all of the important updates downloaded from Windows update.

That said, I also have a copy of Macro Scheduler 11.1.10, and I unstinstalled 12, and installled this one, and then MSNet, and that works. However uninstalling both, and then trying again with 12 still fails.

I saw a post somewhere, with someone mentioning having both 11 and 12 installed at once - and so I've now tried that - and then installed msNet - and that works too, so not sure why I can't get it to work by itself, but I'm able to proceed.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:19 am

Hmmm ... will get this looked into. I wonder if something isn't quite right in the install and it's still looking for something in the v11 setup. We'll look at it.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

BobDDstryr
Junior Coder

Post by BobDDstryr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:59 am

Hmm; maybe I'm doing something weird?

Different machine now - this one Windows 7 64-bit - and I'm running into a different problem. Macro Scheduler and msnet are both installed. I can run the msnet GUI, and that works fine, and can run scripts. But trying to run msnet from the command line, I get an error message:

'msnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Do I need to do anything special to get the program to recognize it?

Also possibly of important - a box pops up after the installation saying:

This program might not have installed correctly

If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows.
Program: Setup Application
Publisher: ServerSetup

-> Reinstall using recommended settings
-> This program installed correctly

Neither of those choices seems to fix the problem though..

BobDDstryr
Junior Coder

Post by BobDDstryr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:24 am

Alright; so msnet is now working from the commandline, after adding
%SYSTEMROOT%\sysWOW64\ to the path.

Also - the error message I mentioned above with the installation problem? Only shows up it I browse to that folder, and run it by double-clicking it. If I use a command prompt and browse there, and run it that way, the error message doesn't pop up. Not sure why that makes a difference.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 am

BobDDstryr wrote:Alright; so msnet is now working from the commandline, after adding
%SYSTEMROOT%\sysWOW64\ to the path.
Good to hear, it sounded like a path issue.
BobDDstryr wrote:Also - the error message I mentioned above with the installation problem? Only shows up it I browse to that folder, and run it by double-clicking it. If I use a command prompt and browse there, and run it that way, the error message doesn't pop up. Not sure why that makes a difference.
Interesting... sounds like Microsoft's "Program Compatibility Assistant" kicking up a fuss again. I had a similar experience installing Macro Scheduler on Win 7... not sure if this will be helpful but here's the link:

Program Compatibility Assistant issues with 11.1.20

Take care
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

daehlerr

Similar symptoms, simple cause

Post by daehlerr » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:21 pm

(18 March 2011) I also received a "Protocol Error" message when trying to run a script remotely using msNet from the command line. In my case, the error happened only when executing msNet from inside a batch file, but things ran fine when I manually typed in the msNet command myself.

It turned out that my batch file had an error that garbled the name of the target machine where I wanted to run the script. When I fixed the typo of the target machine's name in the batch file, everything was fine.