Dialog Designer Fonts

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Fran D

Dialog Designer Fonts

Post by Fran D » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Hopefully, this is a simple question. How does one modify the fonts within the Dialog Designer? And, if I have already created a dialog and modified the fonts by assigning Fonts=Face,Size in the description, how does one 'scale' to the new font if you try to reopen the dialog in the Designer?

OK, two questions, and the last one doesn't read that simply. :P

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Excellent questions.

The dialog designer is a great tool but to my knowledge does not accommodate font selection. It currently requires a lot of trial and error moving things around to make the resized text fit properly and aesthetically into a dialog.

I don't have it yet but I have started working on a tool to let you do that very thing. It will take your dialog block code, and display a dialog that will let you resize and move buttons that pretend to be existing text objects. You can move and resize them so that their start locations will be correct for when you resize your text objects. When you close it the locations and object definitions will be merged and written to the clipboard so you can paste it over your old dialog block.

I started this a couple of months ago after creating a barcode label with about 30 elements that had to fit on a 4" x 6" label. I have not come close to finishing it but was informed this week that another barcode label needs to be done. So I now have incentive.

Also If you are using Font= in the dialog, you only have one font size to contend with. Now that you have version 11, look up help for SetDialogObjectFont>. This function will allow you to set the font (and color) for each individual dialog object. You can have a plethora of different sizes to contend with.

Hope this makes sense.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:37 am

JRL wrote:Excellent questions.

The dialog designer is a great tool but to my knowledge does not accommodate font selection. It currently requires a lot of trial and error moving things around to make the resized text fit properly and aesthetically into a dialog.

I don't have it yet but I have started working on a tool to let you do that very thing. It will take your dialog block code, and display a dialog that will let you resize and move buttons that pretend to be existing text objects. You can move and resize them so that their start locations will be correct for when you resize your text objects. When you close it the locations and object definitions will be merged and written to the clipboard so you can paste it over your old dialog block.
Hi JRL,

That tool (macro?) sounds great... but I'm thinking this improvement to the dialog designer may already be on the official "wish list"...

Marcus, if this is on there, can you give us any hint as to when it might arrive?
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

Fran D

Post by Fran D » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Trial and error, eh? Hmmm..., I was afraid of that.

Well, everything you've said makes sense, so I guess it's just sit down with a cup of coffee and bounce back and forth between the dialog and the designer until I get it right. The SetDialogObjectFont> will probably help, since I don't need the same fonts for labels & buttons. In that regard, then, I guess there's also no way to wrap the text within a button? Unless I'm missing it, I couldn't find it in the table of object properties in the help on Dialogs.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:36 pm

I guess there's also no way to wrap the text within a button?
Just place a %CRLF% where you want the button text to wrap.

Fran D

Post by Fran D » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:17 pm

JRL wrote:Just place a %CRLF% where you want the button text to wrap.
Ah! Excellent! Thanks.