simple command

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

clate

simple command

Post by clate » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Let me first come out and say...I am not a coder and probably should be in a mjtnet special ed class if they had one.

I have a simple command need.
With a shortcut command...
I want to pull the content from a particular word document in a specific folder and paste it into the text field of a new email.

The word document would have text and hyperlinks mostly. I might have a word doc with an image occasionally.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

c

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Just curious, as an alternative, could you send the Word document as an attachment to an email instead?
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

clate

Post by clate » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Probably not. attachments are not going to cut it for this.

However...
What about the ability to just insert text and a hyperlink in an email field
that leads to the certain message?

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Re: simple command

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:38 pm

clate wrote:Let me first come out and say...I am not a coder and probably should be in a mjtnet special ed class if they had one.

I have a simple command need.
With a shortcut command...
I want to pull the content from a particular word document in a specific folder and paste it into the text field of a new email.

The word document would have text and hyperlinks mostly. I might have a word doc with an image occasionally.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

c
This is not necessarily as simple as you think. Especially since Email does not natively support rich text and images. So it will depend a lot on which email client you are using. As Bob suggests, sending as an attachment is safer and then you can do it all in one line with SMTPSendMail.

However, if you have Outllook or Outlook Express installed you can send directly from within Word:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290936

It would be quite simple to have a macro open the document and click that Send/Send To button. Better would be to record that in VBA inside Word and then convert that VBA to VBScript in Macro Scheduler.

Let us know which way you want to go and we can then help further. But before we get stuck into writing code for you we should understand more about what you really want to achieve.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

clate

Post by clate » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 pm

OK...I see the what you are saying.
yes...absolutely....let come back here and refine or reconfigure what I need when i get a little more time. Thanks for the help and education.

clate