dealing with webpages

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

roo

dealing with webpages

Post by roo » Thu May 29, 2008 12:24 am

Can anyone explain to me what the simplest way to identify visible text on a web page (such as xerox.com) with the objective of clicking on it or sending text to the field next to it?
Please note the word 'simplest'... talk to me like I'm a five year old please.
:wink:
Thanks,
-roo

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Thu May 29, 2008 4:24 am

If you look at the source code of the web page, then most of the characters not surrounded in would be visible it the text and background have a proper color contrast. Text in images would not be visible.

You could strip out the text within and including the and you would end up with the visible text. This would be pure text, no formatting, no different fonts or colors or other effects. No table cells, rows or columns, text would be run together,missing line breaks, and frequently with no spaces between words.

Can you explain better what you are trying to do?
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

roo

Post by roo » Thu May 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Yes...
What I am trying to do is to create an automated copier installation script that will (after prompting for input) connect to the xerox.com website, click on Support & Drivers, send the model number to the search field and then click on a couple more links to complete the download.

Afterwards, it will install the driver and connect to the copiers' remote user interface (built in web based interface for configurations) and place previously gathered user inputs (regarding scanning configurations) in certain fields and click apply.

All this depends on identifying certain areas of text on the screen.

I am new at all this but I do see how some things are text and others are images of text. Would the easiest way be to use the image recognition features of Macro Scheduler? I am not familiar with this (as with most of the program).

Any ideas are greatly welcomed.

-roo

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 am

This can probably be done using a combination of Image Recognition and normal Key/Mouse movements.

Try to do as much as you can from the keyboard using Tabs/Arrows/Page Up-Down/Home/End/accelerator keys.

Use keys above to relocate cusor to a known reference point, then count TABS to move it to different sections of the screen.

Key movements are easier and more reliable than Mouse Movements, but MouseMoveRel can also be done in different window positions/sizes.

It is important to SetFocus> in the Window, when it is ready to accept input, before using the key/mouse movements. Only need to do this once when starting the movements, not needed before every movement.

Image recognition usually helps when no key/mouse tools can take care of the movements.
Bob

roo

Post by roo » Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for your assistance.

I have just downloaded the WebRecorder demo from the MJTNET downloads page and it scripts out what you click and type on webpages!!!!
I find it amazing! I have yet to test how it works with variables that have been prompted from the user earlier in the script but hopefully it will work out.

I must state that MJTNET is a dream come true for me. I thought I would have to hire developers for what I wanted to do. And prompt assistance from people like yourself make the product even easier to work with.

Thanks,
-roo
:D

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri May 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Good luck.

We will be watching your progress and requests for help.
Bob