quickbuttons plain text entry

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

webber123456

quickbuttons plain text entry

Post by webber123456 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Plain text entries are returned in all lower case. Is there a way to resolve this so entries are returned in camel case as created ?
________
Land Rover Lrx Specifications
Last edited by webber123456 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:06 am

Plain text entries into what? You need to give more detail, maybe post some of your code, start by explaining what you are trying to accomplish.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:17 pm

I think ThisIsWhatHeWants, and must be referring to the Commands and Functions.
I have always referred to this as InitialCapsFormat

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CamelCase, camel case or medial capitals is the practice of writing compound words or phrases where the words are joined without spaces, and each word is capitalized within the compound. The name comes from the uppercase "bumps" in the middle of the compound word, suggestive of the humps of a camel.

This practice is known by a large variety of names, including camelBack, BiCapitalization, InterCaps, MixedCase, etc., and many of its users do not ascribe a name to it at all.

CamelCase is a standard identifier naming convention for several programming languages, and has become fashionable in marketing for names of products and companies. Outside these contexts, however, CamelCase is rarely used in formal written English, and most style guides recommend against it.
But remember that Macro Scheduler is CaseSensitive.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:48 pm

I was aware what CamelCase was, but he didn't include anything as to what was meant by "resolve".

Just entering commands? outputting text to files?

there needs to be some explanation.

webber123456

example of problem

Post by webber123456 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:27 pm

saving a macro text as:

"document.getElementById"

is output as :

"document.getelementbyid"

totally unacceptable for javascript.....

by resolve, I mean how do I get the output to look like the original CamelCase text used to create the macro ?
________
Amc Hornet History
Last edited by webber123456 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:32 pm

so you are trying to create JavaScript with MacroSchedulers editor? OR maybe you writing a script that aumates creation of some JavaScript?

Again, tell us what you are trying to do.
State the problem,
state how you propose to solve it,
state something about MacroScript you believe is stopping you from reaching that goal.

Not sure why you want to save a macroscript file with such a name...

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:33 pm

...and post some code, then we can help.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Just to be sure - I think webber might be talking about a lesser known tool called QuickButtons:

http://www.mjtnet.com/quickbuttons.htm

Confusion caused as this is a Macro Scheduler forum. Not entirely sure. If I'm right perhaps you could email support and explain the issue. But if this IS a Macro Scheduler issue please clarify here.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

webber123456

Post by webber123456 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:45 am

As I initially posted this is for quickbuttons...

--since there is no quickbuttons forum.
________
Bmw 303

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:21 pm

Sorry for the confusion webber123456. The term quickbutton meant nothing to most of us Macro Scheduler users. But Marcus saw that right away.

I believe this is the first time a QuickButton support question has been posted here. Be sure to email Marcus as he noted. He will provide you with quick and accurate support. You can use the PM or Email buttons at the bottom of his response to you.

Good luck....
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:51 pm

Hi Marcus,

Too bad this had to be taken off-forum... I was curious as to the resolution of this Quickbuttons issue. Will a new version of Quickbuttons be released? Was there another way around the problem? Etc...

ClipMagic still has forums here even though it is now freeware. Quickbuttons has both free and a paid versions but no forum. Since these forums are such a tremendous resource... perhaps Quickbuttons users would make use of their own forum if they had one. Also might make the product more well-known, certainly couldn't hurt.

Just thinking out loud here... and enjoying the forums.

Keep up he the great work!
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:59 pm

after playing with quickbuttons it appears that it has has the same or similar quirk as macroscheduler, the case of sent text is affected by the caps lock key.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:49 pm

Hi Me_again,

Ahh... the old Caps Lock affects Send> issue... see posts:

- Caps Lock affects Send>
- Detecting CapsLock State

A macro that works fine with Caps Lock off may fail if run with Caps Lock on. We can code around this, detecting the Caps Lock state at the moment a macro starts running, saving the state, turning Caps Lock on or off as needed for the macro, then finally restoring the Caps Lock state just before the macro exits. All this to both have a given macro always work properly and to not end up altering the Caps Lock setting that the user has set for themself.

Perhaps there is an enhancement idea hidden in here.

What if Macro Scheduler users (and perhaps QuickButtons users too) could code this:

Send>UPPERlower

...and know that regardless of the Caps Lock Key, the result achieved would always be "UPPERlower" and never "upperLOWER".

Perhaps some changes to the Send> command itself could accommodate this. One approach would be to have the Send> command check the state of Caps Lock before sending a char and if its on, quickly toggle it off, send the char and toggle it on again when done. If Caps Lock was already off, it would just send the char as normal.

This would solve the problem but with macros with lots of Send> commands, the Caps Lock state may be flipping back and forth quite a lot which might have a bad effect on other macros running concurrently since they also may depend on the Caps Lock state.

A better approach would be to leave the Caps Lock state as it is and just deal with what character must be sent at that exact moment in time to get the desired effect. Again, let's say we want to send these characters:

Send>UPPERlower

an improved Send> command might do the following:

- load character to send
- if non-alpha (not in A-Z or a-z), send immediately
- its alpha so check Caps Lock state
- if off, send character as normal
- if on, send "the opposite case" of the character

Ideally, all these steps would happen for every single character sent to ensure desired results.

Would this slow things down too much? If it could work, it would sure simplify things for people who just want to write Send> commands and always achieve their desired result without having to worry and code for the state of the Caps Lock key, saving and restoring its state, etc.

Perhaps a new System Variable could be created along these lines to allow us to choose between legacy and the new behavior:

Let>CASEEXPLICIT=1

The Default is 0 meaning Send> chars are affected by Caps Lock state.
Setting the CASEEXPLICIT variable to 1 means the state of the Caps Lock key will no longer affect your output i.e. if you Send>UPPERlower you'll always get "UPPERlower" and never "upperLOWER".

Is the above technically possible Marcus?

Anybody else out there think this would be nice?
jpuziano

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:25 am

My vote would be system variable, set it and forget it :)

I think I may have put in an enhancement request, but I'll check and if not I'll do it now. I'm sure I'm missing something but I can't imagine the purpose of the current functionality.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:03 am

Hi Me_again,

Thanks for adding this to BugTracker:

Date: 1:36 AM On 10-09-2006
Is it possible to add a system variable so that the user can select to have commands such as Send Character/Text> ignore the setting of keyboard shift/caps lock and send the text in the same case as it has been coded in the macro?

Now we'll just have to wait to see what Marcus says... :D
jpuziano