Debugger sends keystrokes to itself?

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

rsochan

Debugger sends keystrokes to itself?

Post by rsochan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:24 am

I was hoping to debug my first very first script (yes, I'm a first time user) and instead it appears to send my commands and keystrokes to the script window instead of my app (i.e. "Press Tab * 3" ends up putting 3 unnecessary tabs in my script). Shouldn't the commands/keystrokes in the script be sent to the window that was active before I selected Debug / Step from the Script Editor window? I have the Refocus Windows option checked, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:42 am

In the Edtor/Debug, be sure you have a checkmark in the box for Refocus Windows.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

rsochan

Post by rsochan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:06 pm

As I already mentioned in my original post, I have already made sure that Refocus Windows is checked.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the script is supposed to start when my app is on a modal dialog box, and Macro Scheduler is unable to get focus on that window?

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:09 pm

Probably. There are situations where the debugger is unable to switch focus and therefore keysends end up in the debugger. A conundrum of debugging an automation script I'm afraid. E.g. starting the script part way through after a focus line will also have that effect.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:25 pm

not that this solves the refocus issue when Debugging, but I find it very usefull to wrap ALL my variables in % (%variable%) and turn on logging so that the log file shows as many variable values as possible. You might also put a few MessageModal> commands in the script to report to you the current values held in some key variables or system settings.