Detect Installed Hardware

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

dafe
Junior Coder

Detect Installed Hardware

Post by dafe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 am

Howdy all,

I'm trying to build in some error checking for a script i'm writing.

At this stage the script checks to see if drivers for a wireless modem is installed, and if not installs them. it then adjusts relevant strings for the modem, adds a registry key to launch at startup, connects to the internet, then launches a webpage.
It then loops and performs checks to ensure that it is still connected to the internet, and that the webpage is still opened.

what i'd like to ask are the following

a) is there an easier way to adjust the "extra settings" field of the modem properties page to insert modem strings? at the moment i'm doing ExecuteFile>devmgmt.msc and navigating through the modem properties with key presses. Is it possible to do it without simulating user input? (i.e. is there a command line alternative or registry alternative etc.)

b) am i able to force focus to the webpage, while still dealing with other popup windows that i know will appear (they need to be cleared via srt's)

c)how do i get the script to watch for the popup balloons that appear down near the systray? i'd like to monitor the new hardware wizard balloons for successful or unsuccesful notices.

The main question though is - is there a simple way of checking to see if hardware is installed or not? The wireless modem i am using is a USB device, so i'd like to check to see if it is inserted or not before the script steps through the rest of its processes

just questions at this stage, but i'll post what code i have if required.
--