Macro Scheduler running in background session in Windows XP

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

andyw

Macro Scheduler running in background session in Windows XP

Post by andyw » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:34 pm

Here's one that'll get you thinking.

I have a number of Macro Scheduler macros that make use of GetPixelColor, GetRectCheckSum and MouseMove commands. They work fine I'm happy with the way they run.

I've recently installed Windows XP on my PC and particularly like the way that it's possible to run multiple sessions simultaneously (via Fast User Switching) What I'd really like to do is to be able to run my Macro Scheduler scripts in the background session (so I can do something else in the foreground while the macro is running).

The problem with this is that the background session is disconnected from the input and output devices (display, mouse, keyboard) - I understand that the XP OS makes use of "virtual" device drivers so that applications can continue to run in the background. Is there any way to enable Macro Scheduler to "see" the display output while it's in the background. Also, is there any way that it could also control the mouse position in the background session.

I realize this is a long shot but it would be fantastic if macros with interactive functionality could be made to work in the background session(s). My own feeling is that would probably require some rewriting of the virtual device drivers - is this something MJTNET would consider?

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:28 pm

Guess this won't happen.

Take a historic PC from the basement, let'm do the MSched Tasks while you're connected to it remotely (PCAnywhere,VNC,Laplink). This won't have an impact on running MSched scripts while you're doing something different.

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:38 am

Hi andyw,

Your creative thought is very futuristic and inspiring. Nonetheless, have you thought of the impacts:
1. How much are you wiling to pay for the support of virtual device? The development cost will dramatically increase the product price which decreases the affordability of general end-users. Is it worthwhile?
2. Proccesses may now be run stealthily without your knowledge and, sometimes, can't be terminated with any normal means such as Norton Speed Disk service (nopdb.exe).
3. Vulnerability introduced by the hidden processes.

Referring to the current version of Macro Scheduler, the speed is the fastest you can find on the market. Daily routines such as deleting all spam/junk emails takes only a few seconds with a Macro Scheduler script.

Just my two cents. Happy scripting.