Un-Successful using NOSYSTRAY option v. 6-9

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

7buicks

Un-Successful using NOSYSTRAY option v. 6-9

Post by 7buicks » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:04 am

Evidently, I am missing something because I don't see much on the forum about this.
If, in the target field of the shortcut is used, (quote)"C:\Program Files...
\msched.exe" tmpmacro(unquote), then normal operation w/ flashing tray icon,

If, (quote)"C:\Program Files...\msched.exe" tmpmacro /NOSYSTRAY(unquote),
then Warning Error with Let>NOSYSTRAY,=missing. OK or Abort, If Ok is
selected, the macro runs with the tray icon Hidden, however, with a small
title bar above the Start button which reads, Macro Scheduler 9.2

If, (quote)"C:\Program Files...\msched.exe" tmpmacro -NOSYSTRAY(unquote),
then Information Macro in Command Line Does Not Exist OK .

I have also tried re-arranging sequences of the macroname and /NOSYSTRAY,
and re-arranging quotation symbols, and the -HIDE option. The only way of
many variations of the command line that worked was
(quote)"C:\Program Files...\msched.exe" -HIDE -NOSYSTRAY(unquote),
which of course was, leave out any and all macro script names,
which of course resulted with the GUI running, but completely hidden.

I have been trying this since at least ver. 6.2., and up to ver. 9.2, Standard versions, (No Compiler), and the Command Line Options section of the Help, had me convinced that is was intended for Un-Compiled scripts, esp. with the statement "can also be used with Compiled macros", reinforcing that it was intended for Un-Compiled Scripts.
Last edited by 7buicks on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Help for command line:
Disabling System Tray Support
To switch off system tray support, so that the Macro Scheduler icon does not show in the System Tray add the parameter -NOSYSTRAY or /NOSYSTRAY at the end of the command line:
msched -NOSYSTRAY

Hiding Macro Scheduler
You can hide the Macro Scheduler window with the -HIDE parameter:
msched -HIDE
To hide Macro Scheduler completely use this in conjunction with the -NOSYSTRAY parameter:
msched -HIDE -NOSYSTRAY

-HIDE and -NOSYSTRAY can also be used with compiled macros.
There is nothing said about being able to use HIDE and NOSYSTRAY with uncompiled macros, only the ability to hide msched.exe and according to the last line in help "can also be used with compiled macros"

Sorry, but I tried making this work in spite of reading help and being fairly certain it would not work and indeed I could not hide the taskbar icon when running an uncompiled macro.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:51 pm

7buicks,

After reading your PM and re-reading your edited post I tried the following and it seems to eliminate the "Let>NOSYSTRAY,=missing" error and allows the NOSYSTRAY and HIDE processes to work properly.

"C:\Program Files...\msched.exe" "C:\Path...\tmpmacro.scp" /NOSYSTRAY= /HIDE=

My mistake was picking "Abort" on the error rather than "Ok" and seeing that the process could work. Adding the equal signs eliminates the error for me. I'm running Version 10.023.

Later,
Dick

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi JRL,

I tried your suggestion just now on XP SP2. I created a new desktop shortcut icon and entered the following in these fields:
  • Target: "C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler\msched.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\jpuziano\Application Data\Macro Scheduler\Possible Hot Key Bug.scp" /NOSYSTRAY= /HIDE=

Start in: "C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler"
Adding the = chars does indeed get rid of the error so thanks for sharing that with us.

Marcus, if those = chars are required by design, can we get a note added to the "Command Line Options" topic in the Help File on this?

On the other hand, if the need for those = chars is an unwanted side effect, perhaps a code change could make them unnecessary?

In any case, thanks again JRL for finding a solution and sharing it on the forums... much appreciated as always.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

7buicks

Post by 7buicks » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:52 pm

JRL,

You are CORRECT ! I was able to reduce your example to :

"C:\Program Files...\msched.exe" tmpmacro /NOSYSTRAY=

And add the /HIDE=, if desired, to eliminate the title bar. NOTE: the forward slash for the command line options works, but the dash, does not.

I tried the NOSYSTRAY option 11 years ago, and revisted it only in the last week. :D

Thanks again,
Frank

deloppoled

Re:

Post by deloppoled » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:32 pm

jpuziano wrote:Hi JRL,

I tried your suggestion just now on XP SP2. I created a new desktop shortcut icon and entered the following in these fields:
  • Target: "C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler\msched.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\jpuziano\Application Data\Macro Scheduler\Possible Hot Key Bug.scp" /NOSYSTRAY= /HIDE=

Start in: "C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler"
Adding the = chars does indeed get rid of the error so thanks for sharing that with us.

Marcus, if those = chars are required by design, can we get a note added to the "Command Line Options" topic in the Help File on this?

On the other hand, if the need for those = chars is an unwanted side effect, perhaps a code change could make them unnecessary?

In any case, thanks again JRL for finding a solution and sharing it on the forums... much appreciated as always.
A small update to the help file would be nice. Thankfully I didn't scratch my head too long when I ran into this problem, the answers always seem to be here in these forums, if not in the help file--combined there's not much one can't figure out!

Thanks to all in this thread for sharing the syntax that works!