XP owners I desperately need your help.

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:46 am

Hi,

Did you check your firewall? Are you using ZoneAlarm?

Some things to try.

Check to see if you have Winsock2 corruption:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp

Error 619 When You Try to Connect to the Internet a Second Time:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... duct=winxp
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

tommytx
Pro Scripter

Post by tommytx » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:03 pm

The below is from the suggestion you gave me at microsoft..

Error 619 When You Try to Connect to the Internet a Second Time
View products that this article applies to.

SYMPTOMS
After you install Windows XP, you can use your modem to connect to your Internet Service Provider (ISP) without problems. However, after you disconnect, you may experience the following symptoms:
My modem connects and reconnects over and over without any problem.
When you try to connect to your ISP a second time, you may receive an "error 619" error message.
You may not be able to connect to your ISP a second time until you restart your computer
I don't get a 619 error, matter of fact I don't get any error it just locks up. However, I don't have to reboot the computer, simply ctrl alt del to shut down the locked up scheduler and start the scheduler again. Then I can Http one more time. Also after 1 http I am not locked up and I can do other work in the scheduler, but as soon as I do a 2nd Hppt the scheduler locks up. Also I can do one http: close and restart the scheduler and that way I can do http all day long as long as I don't do more than one http per scheduler session. don't that beat everything?.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if you are using a third-party program that is not releasing the Winsock stack after any type of Internet activity. For example, this issue might occur if you are running Download Accelerator Plus or Zone Alarm.
Is there anyway for me to tell if the scheduler is correctly releasing winsock?
Also I don't run firewall nor any of the two programs above.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, contact the manufacturer of your third-party firewall or network utility program to inquire about the availability of a fix for this issue.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, remove the third-party firewall or network utility program. For information about how to do so, view the documentation that is included with your program.

MORE INFORMATION
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

The below is from the second suggestion you gave me at microsoft..

Please read my notes and tell me I should still tamper with the registry.
I am afraid to tamper with the registery, but I will attempt it if after you read my notes and still feel I need to do this.
Let me know. I will do what ever it takes to solve this problem.
***********************************************************************************************************************************
How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
View products that this article applies to.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
When you try to release and renew the IP address using the Ipconfig program, you may receive the following error message:

An error occurred while renewing interface 'Internet': An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.
When you start Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:
using the intenet, or modem, I never get an error of any sort. They all work great.The page cannot be displayed
Additionally, you may have no IP address or no Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) address, and you may be receiving IP packets but not sending them.
CAUSE
These issues may occur if the Winsock registry keys are damaged or corrupted.
RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Below sounds complicated, but I will attempt it if you say I should.How to determine whether the Winsock2 key is corrupted
To determine if the symptoms are caused by a problem with the Winsock2 key, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Use the Netdiag tool
To use the Netdiag tool, you must install the Microsoft Windows XP Support Tools. To do so, follow these steps:

Note If you already have Support Tools installed, go to the second procedure in this section.
I don't believe I have these support tools installed yet, I certainly did not install them.

Note If you do not have Support Tools installed and you do not have the Windows XP Setup CD, go to Method 2.
Insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and then locate the Support\Tools folder.
Double-click the Setup.exe file.
Follow the steps on the screen until you reach the Select An Installation Type screen.
On the Select An Installation Type screen, click Complete, and then click Next.
When the installation is complete, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type Command, and then click OK.
Type netdiag /test:winsock, and then press ENTER.
The Netdiag tool will return the test results for several network components, including the Winsock. For more details about the test, use /v at the end of the netdiag command: netdiag /test:winsock /v
Method 2: Use the Msinfo32 program
Note Use this method only if you do not have a Windows XP Setup CD and you do not have Support Tools installed.
Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.
Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol.
You will have ten sections under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:
MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
RSVP UDP Service Provider
RSVP TCP Service Provider
MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...
If the names are anything different from those in this list, the Winsock2 key is corrupted, or you have a third-party add-on, such as proxy software, installed.

If you have a third-party add-on installed, the name of the add-on will replace the letters "MSAFD" in the list.

If there are more than ten sections in the list, you have third-party additions installed.

If there are fewer than ten sections, there is information missing.

Note These entries represent an installation with only the TCP/IP protocol installed. You can have a working Winsock and see additional entries if another protocol is installed. For example, if you install NWLink IPX/SPX, you will see 7 additional sections, for a total of 17. Below is an example heading of one of the new sections:
MSAFD nwlnkipx [IPX]
Also, each of the new sections that are created by installing NWLink IPX/SPX start with "MSAFD." Therefore, there are still only two sections that do not start with those letters.

If the Netdiag test fails, or if you determined that there is Winsock corruption by looking at Msinfo32, you must repair the Winsock2 key by using the steps in the next section.
How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption
To resolve this issue, delete the corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall of the TCP/IP protocol.
Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.
Step 2: Install TCP/IP
Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
Click Install.
Click Protocol, and then click Add.
Click Have Disk.
Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Restart the computer.
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Last Reviewed: 3/8/2004 (4.0)
Keywords: kbnetwork kberrmsg kbprb KB811259 kbAudEndUser kbAudITPRO

Need More Help?
Contact a Support Professional by E-Mail, Online or Phone

Boy, this sounds hard, I hope you don't decide I need to do this.....however so be it, as I said, I will try whatever it takes.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:24 pm

Hi,

I realise the error messages and symptoms described aren't exactly what you are getting, but they were the closest, most relevent articles I could find when searching for winsock problems. Now I could be proved wrong that this isn't a winsock problem, but this is my first hunch and given that there is a well documented 'Winsock 2 problem' I feel we should at least eliminate it from our enquiries.

It wouldn't do any harm to at least *check* to see if you have the winsock 2 problem. Checking it does not require tampering with the registry. You'd only have to make changes if you find you do have the problem. If you like export the registry key described and email it to me and I'll check it for you.

I would certainly want to check. Frankly, if it was my PC I'd probably reinstall TCP/IP. I've fixed many a problem by doing that.

I have searched Microsoft's Knowledge Base, Usenet and developer forums for similar issues to yours but so far haven't come up with anything better. I could be missing something really obvious or quite obscure, but we should at least eliminate what I have found so far.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:40 pm

Hold on! I need to get a sanity check here. Sounds like we could be getting way off focus. That may be necessary, but I want to make sure I am looking to resolve the correct problem.

Are we still trying to find out why the following code does not run properly on SOME XP systems:
Begin script for copy.
HTTPRequest>http://www.vahud.com,,get,,temp1
Message>Success1
HTTPRequest>http://www.vahud.com,,get,,temp2
Message>Success2
End script for copy.
I have done a quick review of the history here, and I don't think anything has changed. Has anyone else had this problem with XP, I don't recall seeing that either. Am curious if we have isolated the actual cause, or are we still dealing with symptoms?

The Microsoft links were provided but address specific problems. You say you don' have 619 error, so we can forger that. Have you determined that you do have Winsock corruption? Again, just trying to stay focused.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

tommytx
Pro Scripter

Post by tommytx » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Support, I will work on them tonite.

You are absolutely right Bob. This is the very same problem you were giving me suggestions on back in December. The formal support team thru direct emails was working on this one, but never did get a solution and I can understand not wanting to put too many hours into it as it appeared to be only my xp problem. The support guy back in December worked real hard to solve the problem, even sending me a modified exec file to see if it helped...

It has laid dormant for the past couple of months.

I sure wish I could figure it out, as I am currently using the vb6 inet control to do this automation for me, but with so many other items in the project, it would be great to do it all in the scheduler. I scripted the IE browser to do the job, and it worked fine but was too slow.

The problem is exactly the code you show above, call http once and all is well, call it twice and requires ctrl alt del to unlock the scheduler and then you can again activate one more http..but not two. You can even activate one http and then do anything else you want to call as long as you don't call http again.

The reason for the title "XP owners I desperately need your help!" was an attempt to get a lot of XP folks to try the few lines of code and maybe out of 20 there might be 2 or 3 fails and I am sure that would give support more fuel to spend more time on this problem.

However, all the XP folks but Bob and one other ignored me.

So again! If any XP owner out there is reading this..please copy the few lines code below and try it. Won't take but a few seconds and it would be very helpful. Thanks in advance if you decide to help.

Quote:

Begin script for copy. (Fail script)
Message>Success1
HTTPRequest>http://www.vahud.com,,get,,temp2
Message>Success2
End script for copy.

By the way Bob, this is the very same code you helped me work some bugs out of originally.
If any XP owner tests this script please add your comments and results to this file. If the 4 line script above locks up your scheduler, use ctrl alt del to get out. Then delete 2 lines and run the script below to see if all is well. You will forever be in my debt for taking a few minutes to help.

Begin script for copy. (A-Ok script)
Message>Success1
End script for copy.

Now back to the task at hand..again Support thanks for your help and I am on my way to read the instructions on how to determine if I have a winsock 2 problem as you suggested. Then I will read some to see if I can find out how to reload my tcp/ip as you also suggested.

Let me know if you or anyone else has any other suggestions.

Thanks
Tom

tommytx
Pro Scripter

Post by tommytx » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:48 pm

Ok. I checked my winsock 2 for corruption and all required files on the list are in place, and I have a whole lot more, however they say you must have 7 sets and i have 20 sets. They also say if you have more than 7 sets I have third party add ons installed.

Tom

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:18 am

Tom,

I have sent you another email with a new patch to try out. Let me know if it makes any difference.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]