WaitWindowChanged - What does it do?

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

fightcancer
Macro Veteran

WaitWindowChanged - What does it do?

Post by fightcancer » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:51 pm

I'm using WaitWindowChanged>5 to wait for a webpage to load. The webpage easily loads within that amount of time, however my next statement:

MessageModal>WWC_RESULT

always returns "FALSE". So WaitWindowChanged is useless for my purposes in this situation.

I don't think this command is doing what I think it's supposed to be doing. Can anyone help please?

thanks in advance,

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:49 pm

WaitWindowChanged waits for a change in foreground window. It won't help you wait for a web page to load. Instead use VBScript and IE's busy function:
http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1511
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

fightcancer
Macro Veteran

Post by fightcancer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:05 am

"foreground window"? I still don't understand what WaitWindowChanged does, but that script you linked to sure is beautiful!

THANKS!

IanSmith
Junior Coder

Post by IanSmith » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:42 am

WaitWindowChanged does not look at the contents of the window, but which window has focus. The Foreground window is the one with the dark blue title bar at the top (in a default colour scheme), and is the active window for all input.

Waitwindowchanged will return a true once the focus has been moved to another window.

I was trying a similar thing to you, until I realised what was happening...

Take care, Ian

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:18 am

Foreground Window = The Active Window. The one in front of any other window and active. In front of. Hence Foreground.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

fightcancer
Macro Veteran

Post by fightcancer » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 am

support wrote:WaitWindowChanged waits for a change in foreground window. It won't help you wait for a web page to load. Instead use VBScript and IE's busy function:
http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1511
Just a suggestion, it may be helpful for beginners to clarify that the WaitWindowChanged waits for a change in the foreground window "to another window". As is, a literal interpretation should include any change in the window including the blue loading bar at the bottom of a browser, the tiny visual effects of a button click, etc. Yet those changes don't trigger the WaitWindowChanged function.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:38 am

One step ahead of you. The 7.4 help file says:

"This command causes Macro Scheduler to wait until the foreground window changes. I.e. the foreground window's title (caption) changes, or a different window becomes the foreground window. "
MJT Net Support
[email protected]