making msched see file properties

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

tim167

making msched see file properties

Post by tim167 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:42 am

you can use "FileDate, FileSize, IfFileExists..." but can you also perform actions based on other file properties (for example owner, last opened, artist, title, ID3 tag content...) ?
I want to sort/select files based on properties you can view in the Windoze Explorer's "details" view...
this would be of great help to me

Thanks!

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:51 am

Search these forums for FileSystemObject for examples of getting file properties such as DateLastAccessed, DateLastModified etc.

For media file information such as title or artist you can't do this with operating sytem calls or the FileSystemObject but it should be possible with Microsoft's Windows Media Format SDK which you can download from their site. Apparently the Reader object exposes a IWMHeaderInfo interface which will give you info you from Windows Media and MP3 files.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 am

I was just getting an update to TreeSize Professional 3.3(used it for years) and I ran across this free utility: FileList V1.3
FileList is a command line utility that produces a list of files of the given path in the CSV format, which can be imported in a spreadsheet or database.
The list includes the file name, the size, the path, the last access and change date, etc. Under Windows NT/2000/XP it also includes the owner of the file.

Usage:

FILELIST [/AUTHORS] [/FILTER pattern1;pattern2;...] Path [>list.csv]

/AUTHORS Additionally extracts name of the author from MS Office documents
/FILTER Allows to specify one or more filters, separated with semicolons.
The wildcards '*' and '?' may be used.

Using > the output can be redirected to a file.
I have not tried it yet myself, but I thought it might have some value in response to this earlier posting.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!