New release 7.3.11e gives "Stream Read Error"

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

adroege
Automation Wizard

New release 7.3.11e gives "Stream Read Error"

Post by adroege » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:03 pm

I just noticed that there was a new version posted today, and so I downloaded and installed 7.3.11 eval version. However it will not run. After dismissing the eval screen by clicking "continue", I get a little popup window which says "Stream read error". After I click OK on that, I get the popup window which says:

this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

After dismissing that window, another one pops up which says:

Exception EAccessViolation in module MSCHED.EXE at 001F2341.
Access violation at address 005F2341 in module 'MSCHED.EXE'.
Read of address FFFFFFF

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:30 pm

What operating system and version are you running?

Anyone else seen this?
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

adroege
Automation Wizard

7.3.11 Stream Read Error

Post by adroege » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:34 pm

I installed it on windows 98 SE --- Overtop of MSCHED 7.3.10.5 which was previously working.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Odd. We have it running in Win98 SE with no problems. Do you have any scripts set to run on startup? Tell you what - can you zip up the contents of your Macro Scheduler directory and email it to [email protected] ? Then we can try to mirror your setup and aim to recreate the problem.

For obvious reasons I am keen to reproduce and fix - we don't want other downloaders of the eval version having the same problem!
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

adroege
Automation Wizard

Post by adroege » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:26 pm

I tried installing the eval version on another WIN98 SE machine without a problem. This computer never had MSCHED to begin with.

I tried reboots, and re-installs back on the original machine which had problems (Using the Minumum install option) and the same problem occured each time.

I then performed the "Remove Macro Scheduler" procedure, and then did another "minimum" install. This seems to have fixed the problem. I don't get the "Stream errors" anymore. I will have to "re-import" the macros so they show up in the panel.

I'm pretty sure that I had 7.3.10.5 previously installed. Have you tried installing over older versions?

If you need me to, I can try to remove the current version, go back to 7.3.10.5, then re-install again to see if the problems resurface. If you would like me to go this route, kindly send me the 7.3.10.5 version as I overwrote it when I downloaded the 7.3.11 update.

adroege
Automation Wizard

Post by adroege » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 pm

My company paid for the registered version.... Yeah!

Anyway, I tried to install the registered version 7.3.11 on my XP machine and this "Stream Error" also happened on this machine. So it seems the problem is not limited to the eval version.

I have groups which exist as subdirectories under the main "Macro Scheduler" directory. Not sure yet what makes my install different yet. But I didn't have this problem until this version. To be fair, I have also been actively adding macros, directories, since the last install, but the previous version was running okay.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:18 pm

Hi,

This is weird. No one else has reported this error and I'm at a loss to figure our what has changed that could cause something like this. I'm keen to try to replicate and get this sorted.

Do you get the same problem if you do a clean install? Can you zip the contents of your Macro Scheduler directory up and email to [email protected] ?

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:23 am

Dear Adroege,

First of all, let me assure you that "stream read error" isn't caused by Macro Scheduler. Otherwise, other members would have already posted their observation here on this forum. Have you installed any antivirus software recently?

When comparing with other software such as Norton Antivirus, the Macro Scheduler installation is the simplest you can get. It doesn't create files in c:\Documents and Settings, c:\Program Files\Common Files, c:\Windows, c:\Windows\system32, c:\Windows\System,....etc. Macro Scheduler doesn't write any hidden files in hard drive. In the Windows registry, Macro Scheduler creates fewer than 10 entries while Norton Antivirus over 3,000.

adroege
Automation Wizard

Post by adroege » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:07 pm

I have posted the screen shots to the following url's
as proof.

http://www.alan-droege.com/streamreaderror.JPG

http://www.alan-droege.com/MschedException.JPG

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:21 am

Hello Adroege,

Can you temporarily disable/uninstall FreeMem to test if it's the cause of the trouble? Thanks.

adroege
Automation Wizard

Stream Read error fixed by new version 7.3.11.3

Post by adroege » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:31 pm

Support found the issue with the Stream Read Error, and now it's fixed. Version 7.3.11.3 fixes the problem.

Version 7.3.11.3 14/04/2005

Fixed startup error that could be caused by zero sized macro list column

Lpitts

Post by Lpitts » Wed May 04, 2005 3:27 pm

Good Morning,

I've been evaluating Macro Scheduler for incorporation into our testing platform. This morning I downloaded the 7.3.11.3 eval copy. I had run into the Stream Read Error problem in a previous version and solved it by re-installing.
As I was using the new version this morning, I accidently tried to edit a running macro. I exited without saving my changes, and then tried to stop the running macro with Shift Esc. The macro would not stop running so I had to quit MS . This happens pretty consistentlly. This time when I restarted the app, I got the "Stream Read Error" Message again. Now MS won't start.
I am running on Windows Server 2003 standard. I'm afraid to say, I don't think it's fixed.

/LP