Context help is broken in 7.3.05e

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

adroege
Automation Wizard

Context help is broken in 7.3.05e

Post by adroege » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:44 pm

I just upgraded to the latest 7.3.05e version and now the context sensitive help is broken.

I used to be able to put the cursor on a command (while in the script editor) and press F1 to get instant help on that topic. Now in this version it just comes up to the index screen with an empty box which used to contain the keyword my cursor was on.

Can this be fixed quickly? I really rely on this to help me learn.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:06 pm

I'm unable to reproduce this. Works fine for me with the latest release. Anyone else get this problem?
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:16 am

Works fine for me with 7.3.05. Could not duplicate the symptoms.

Tried about 7 commands, prssing F1, correct Help page comes up. Sometimes get an additional window to select from if could be more than one.......

What is 7.3.05e?
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:02 am

7.3.05e is the evaluation version.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:44 am

e :oops:

Maybe worth to rename it to ev = evaluation
Otherwise someone in the UK could think it's the "
e
uropean" version, and won't be interested anymore to give it a try :lol:

and by the way, on my side of the planet an additional e at software/filename means (in 98% of all occurences) "english" version to indicate it isn't a multi language supportet app.

adroege
Automation Wizard

Context help is broken in 7.3.05e -- UPDATE

Post by adroege » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:57 pm

I know what the difference is now..... All my script names are long filenames with spaces in them. The context help doesn't work with script names with spaces. I just tried creating a simple script without spaces in the name and it works.

BUT this used to work in the previous version I was using 7.3.xx (I forget the exact version previously installed)

Hope this helps to track down the bug.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:05 pm

Most of my macros have spaces in them too. As does their path - I have all mine under the default of 'c:\program files\mjt net ltd\macro scheduler'. So they all have spaces in them and it works fine. In any case I am not sure I understand why spaces in the script file would have any effect on the help file functioning! The help file doesn't care where you invoke it from. You just pass the string to it (such as the command or function) and it opens the most appropriate keyword for that string.

Most odd indeed. No one else seems to have this problem. I wonder if your Windows Help system is somehow messed up. Maybe try downloading the latest help system from microsoft.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:30 pm

No chance to check right now, but I suspect "spaces" ws referring to those few commands that have a space in them, like Run Program> vs. ResizeWindow> that has no space between words.
Bob

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:33 pm

Hmmm..........Looks like my guess may have been wrong. Made the time to check that out, and Run Program> did bring up Context Sensitive Help correctly (7.3.05).
Bob

adroege
Automation Wizard

context help broken in 7.3.05e - ANOTHER UPDATE

Post by adroege » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:50 am

I tried an experiment on another computer, and this confirms my fears that something is indeed broken in 7.3.05e.

This other computer still had 7.3.01e where the help works. I copied over the newer msched.exe and msched.chm into the "C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler" folder and the context sensitive help is again broken..... Put back the older msched.exe and msched.chm, and Voila! the help works again. So this rules out anything else in my setup being broken (hopefully). Since the evaluation version is actually labled differently, it is possible that something is broken in that version that works in the registered version.

I made two zip files containing just the msched.exe and msched.chm
files, and can unzip one or the other to instantly reproduce the problem at will now. If you want I can upload them?

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:19 am

You're right! It's happening only in the evaluation version. How weird! We'll look into it.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:36 am

Problem solved. Turns out there was a reference to the old htmlhelp unit in the reminder screen unit. Hence only the evaluation version had this problem.

You can download the fixed evaluation version from http://www.mjtnet.com/downloads.htm

Please note: this only affected the evaluation version so there are no full version updates necessary. We've changed the evaluation version number to 7.3.05e0 so that you know you've got the corrected version.

You may need to clear your cache before you re-download because the eval version has a permanent filename.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]