Sort Media files by star rating

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

dazedandconfused2

Sort Media files by star rating

Post by dazedandconfused2 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Good afternoon.
I have been searching the forum for a solution to this one with no real luck.

What I want is to sort and move a large number of video files based on the rating.
In the Properties it is listed under details.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

mightycpa
Automation Wizard

Re: Sort Media files by star rating

Post by mightycpa » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Can you isolate the rating? The movie name? Can you loop through the collection of videos and get this info?

What does the data look like?
"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought." - Lord Peter Wimsey

dazedandconfused2

Post by dazedandconfused2 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:42 pm

That's part of what I don't know.
I don't know if it is part of the file properties or exif data. I was hoping someone else
had tackled that issue already.

the file types are mostly .avi or mp4 or wmv

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:54 pm

I know you can get file description and EXIF data by doing a ReadFile> and then parsing the result. I have not said anything because as mightycpa has pointed out in a couple of other posts, ReadFile> on large files can be very time consuming. I didn't want to suggest a technique and perhaps dissuade someone with a real answer from posting.

That said. Working on a different project this morning I accidentally discovered that the GetWindowList> function will capture the description that pops up when you hover your mouse over an icon. If the data you need is in that popup description, then maybe GetWindowList> could be used to help you perform your task. "Rating" is listed in this popup on my Win 7 pro computer.

"Rating" shows up on the popup description when the file is located on the desktop. However, when using Windows Explorer, "Rating" must be selected as a detail choice for Rating to display in the popup description. Set the detail choice under "View" then "Choose Details". After setting Rating as a detail choice you have to exit and restart Windows Explorer for "Rating" to display in the popup description.