Find today's date in Excel Worksheet

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

CZ

Find today's date in Excel Worksheet

Post by CZ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:14 am

Hello everyone

Been trying to figure out how to find today's date in a cell in an Excel Worksheet and have that cell selected. I've done some research and I'm still thoroughly confused. The only thing that I'm pretty certain of is that I would have to use VBScript. I am not very good with it though. So far this is all I could come up with. I would appreciate any help.

VBSTART

Sub xlExample

Set oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
oExcel.Visible = true
oExcel.Workbooks.Open "C:\My Stuff\Data\microsoft excel 97\BTB.xlsx"
oExcel.Sheets("BTB-Workout").Select
oExcel.Range("C2:XFD1000").Select
oExcel.Range.Find(date())

End Sub

VBEND

VBRun>xlExample

I keep getting an error on the " oExcel.Range.Find(date())" line, but i can't figure how to fix it. Again I would appreciate any help.
Thank you

hagchr
Automation Wizard

Re: Find today's date in Excel Worksheet

Post by hagchr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:20 am

Hi, hopefully this will help you.

Code: Select all

VBSTART
Sub xlExample(date)
oExcel.Visible = true

Set SearchRes = oExcel.Sheets("BTB-Workout").Range("C2:XDF1000").Find(date)

If NOT SearchRes is Nothing then
    SearchRes.Select
Else
    Msgbox("Not Found!")
End If
End Sub
VBEND

GetDate>today
VBRun>xlExample,today

CZ

Post by CZ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi
Thank you for your reply. I tried it, but it doesn't work. It seems that if I take out the "oExcel.Range("C2:XDF1000").Select" line in the code the Workbook won't automatically go to that Worksheet that has the dates in it. Also I keep getting the msgbox "Not Found" when I know that today's date is in there. However the cells with the dates are based on formulas from other cells for example cell E5 has the date 07/07/14 in it and Cell T5 has the formula E5+7 which is 07/14/14. It is like that through out the entire worksheet. I apologize for not mentioning that before, but I'm guessing that may have something to do with the code not being able to find today's date.

Thanks again for trying.

hagchr
Automation Wizard

Post by hagchr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi again. I changed it slightly so that it sets focus to the right sheet and also that it searches for values (The constant xlValues=-4163 could vary depending on Excel version but hopefully ok for you). I am not sure if one also has to change to ensure the date formats are consistent (could the initial 0 you have for month/day 1-9 create a problem?). Maybe you can check if this works.

Code: Select all

VBSTART
Sub xlExample(date)
xlValues=-4163
oExcel.Visible = true
oExcel.Sheets("BTB-Workout").activate

Set SearchRes = oExcel.Sheets("BTB-Workout").Range("C2:XDF1000").Find(date,,xlValues)
If NOT SearchRes is Nothing then
    SearchRes.Select
Else
    Msgbox("Not Found!")
End If
End Sub
VBEND
GetDate>today
VBRun>xlExample,today

CZ

Post by CZ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks again for the reply, but unfortunately it didn't work. It does go to the correct worksheet, but it doesn't go to the date. I tried changing the dates so that they are like 9/1/14 instead of 09/01/14, but that didn't help. I did notice however that if I do a search in the spreadsheet itself (Ctrl+F) and enter for example 09/07/14 in the "Find what" box, change the "Look in: box to "Values" it finds the cells with no problem. So I figure that there has to be a VBScript to put all those things into play, but I can't figure it out. So I may figure out another way. It probably will be the long way around it, but at least it will get it done.

Thanks again for your help.

CZ

Post by CZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi hagchr,

Wanted to let you know that I finally figured out what you were trying to say about changing the date format. I was thinking that you were talking about changing the date format in the Excel program itself. I finally noticed that the date format on my computer was MM/dd/yyyy. When I changed it to MM/dd/yy your solution worked perfectly.

Thanks again for your help.