Add photo tag

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

dazedandconfused2

Add photo tag

Post by dazedandconfused2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Hello.

I would like to loop through folder with photos in it and add a specific tag based on a variable.

The looping and variable are no problem but I am unable to find any information as to how to append that data to the image.

example
folder is full of Jane Smith images
add Jane and Smith to tags

Any ideas or a point in the right direction.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Define "tag". Do you want to put info in the image file properties? Are you trying to edit EXIF data?

I don't understand "tag"

dazedandconfused2

more info

Post by dazedandconfused2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Sorry
To be more specific it is the keywords in the IPTC data of an image file.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Good question. Could make a good puzzler. How to edit EXIF/IPTC metadata in a jpeg. You probably don't want to wait a couple of weeks to find out how though, do you?

It might be difficult (probably not impossible) to have a pure Macro Scheduler solution for this. A quick look on Google and there are various programs available to edit image metadata. Do you want a pure Macro Scheduler / maybe VBScript solution or would you be willing to automate an existing image metadata editor?

dazedandconfused2

Post by dazedandconfused2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:06 pm

I want to keep it all in MacroScheduler just because it is part of a rather extensive process that is already set up. I am handling about 3000 images per day so keeping it all in one is what I would like to do if possible.

If I could get a better handle on the file structure of exif that would help. But I was really hoping someone here had already tackled this issue. No point reinventing the wheel if I don't have to.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 pm

After looking into it a bit I'm beginning to see its a rather extensive subject. Though it sounds like fun I don't have time in the near future to work with it. If no one else responds with their "pure Macro Scheduler solution", I did find ExifTool which provides command line options so should be faster than manipulating a GUI.

Good luck.