Systematic in depth learning

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

ccris

Systematic in depth learning

Post by ccris » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:45 pm

I do not have any formal training in programming. From the days of Basic it's always been the same for me: hit the manual + computer, try this, try that. Need something done? Research it, get it done.
Done same with Macro Scheduler. After a hiatus (from v. 7.4) I've just upgraded to 13.x and I am in awe.
In just a few days I grabbed quite a few of the new capabilities.
There is a depth to the program that I know I am not seeing. My approach has been: getting to a problem to solve ("needle"), researching the "haystack", finding solution, repeat.
With improved capabilities, the "haystack" is now much bigger than before. I think that the "do-stop-search-do-stop-search" approach is becoming more limiting and more time consuming than taking one week off my daily work in order to systematically and in depth learn what can be done with Mac Sch these days.
I've done the video tutorials and done the "Articles and Tutorials" links.
I would appreciate if anyone can suggest a structured method of study (books, manual, flowchart) I could sytematically follow (that gets into the advanced areas of programming Mac Sch is using).

Thanks,

CC

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi ccris,
ccris wrote:I would appreciate if anyone can suggest a structured method of study (books, manual, flowchart) I could sytematically follow (that gets into the advanced areas of programming Mac Sch is using).
Other than what you have already mentioned, I don't think there is a course or "text book" available that includes all the capabilities of Macro Scheduler. Should there be? I don't know, its a thought... Hey Marcus, imagine how large a book that would have to be.

In the meantime, the best I can suggest is:

1) Review the Help File entries on all the commands available to you in the version of Macro Scheduler you have. If you find one you don't understand, search these forums for that command to find examples.

2) Read these forums daily... you'll be amazed at what you pick up along the way... and you may even find yourself helping others with their issues... a strong forum community benefits us all.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

ccris

Post by ccris » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi JP,

You're right, good suggestion, that's how I learned most of the stuff I know today. I'll keep at it. I was just thinking on the lines of the well known expression "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing". There is stuff I don't even know that I don't know......, that's the stuff I want to learn....

Anyway, sooner or later if I keep drilling I'll get to it.

Thanks again and best wishes,

CC

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 am

Agree with jpuziano,

1. Read the forums daily, even read topics that do not look interesting to you or relevant. There will always be something new. (And you'll always miss something too, lol).

2. Make up a small, simple, sample project that uses some of the new stuff you learn and set about getting it neat. Again use the forums when you run into trouble.

3. Look at other folks' examples, see if you can figure out what is going on.

As you say, just keep drilling.
Phil Pendlebury - Linktree