Monitoring progress of a macro

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

xavierlh1

Monitoring progress of a macro

Post by xavierlh1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:42 am

I've been reading through the help and posts, but couldn't find a reference to this issue, so hopefully someone can help.

I'm trying to automate processing of some audio files using Adobe Audition. Unfortunately, Audition doesn't do a very good job for the timing of its dialogs; there are a number of functions where, as the function reaches toward the end of its process, it passes the focus to the main window, but still has a long time to run (up to 45s).

For example, there is a normalization function which on my ancient laptop can take several minutes to run for one audio track. As it reaches toward the end of the track, the dialog shows 100%, the header of the main application window shows as it has regained focus, but the dialog remains on screen for another 30-45s before finally going away. This obviously makes it very difficult to time/trigger the following keystroke. If I simply use WaitWindowClosed with the dialog name or WaitWindowOpen on the main app window, the main window is not ready to accept the following keystroke. Unfortunately there are no text changes on the main app window for me to trigger on :-(

I tried adding long wait (45s), but this is a waste in cases where it is not truly necessary, and I've encountered times where that doesn't seem sufficient. So I was searching for some form of process monitor that would let me know in real time which of the macro step was being processed. This would allow me to watch this at the same time as the application window and find out what's going on.

I thought of trying to redirect log entries to stdout but couldn't figure that out (I'm not a programmer!) Is there any hope for my situation?

Thanks
Xavier

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Is there any VIsual indication thAt happens when the process is REALLY done?
Perhaps a comment on a status line, an icon changing color, etc? If that happens than you could use another monitor like pixel color or screen text or get image tool. That would be done instead of a Wait.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

xavierlh1

Post by xavierlh1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Unfortunately no, there is no effective visual indication. In some instances, the dialog for the function that was running goes away (theoretically indicating that the function has completed), but in fact work is still going on, and if I don't insert a Wait statement, keystrokes are sent to the application before it can take them.

I've been adding lengthy Wait statements and then reducing them a little at a time until something no longer works. Not the most efficient way to optimize, but it works!

gdyvig
Automation Wizard

Post by gdyvig » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:00 am

Hi xavierlh1,

Have you tried leaving the Windows Task Manager open to see what application or process stops sometime after the Audition window closes?

Gale

xavierlh1

Post by xavierlh1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 am

Haven't tried it yet, but next on the list :)

Thanks for the feedback

adroege
Automation Wizard

Use the debugger to watch progress of macro in real time

Post by adroege » Fri May 07, 2010 6:39 pm

So I was searching for some form of process monitor that would let me know in real time which of the macro step was being processed. This would allow me to watch this at the same time as the application window and find out what's going on.
Seems from the above quote what you are asking for is to run the macro in the debugger. Open the script in the editor, then look at all the options in the "Debug" menu. For example you can just start pressing the F8 key and the debugger will execute your macro one line at a time and allow you to see the results of all your variables, etc. You may need to make sure that "Refocus Windows" is checked, so that mouse movements and send keys go to the right window.

Check the documentation for more info about using the debugger feature.

Hope this helps.