Filenames with accented characters and ; character

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

xavierlh1

Filenames with accented characters and ; character

Post by xavierlh1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:17 am

I'm trying out Macro Scheduler to process audio files using Adobe Audition, but it seems to have trouble with filenames that include either accented characters such as é or the semi-colon.

Among the list of files to process I have one named:
Les Offrandes Oubliées - Olivier Messiaen - Orchestre de Paris; Serge Baudot - Angel S-36559 - 2 - LP - ~.wav
which is a legal filename

I'm using GetFileList, but for this file in the Watch List I see the following name:
Les Offrandes Oubliées - Olivier Messiaen - Orchestre de Paris

i.e. the filename is truncated at the semi-colon.

When I replace the ; with a coma, GetFileList processes the file correctly; i.e. I see
Les Offrandes Oubliées - Olivier Messiaen - Orchestre de Paris, Serge Baudot - Angel S-36559 - 2 - LP - ~.wav
in the WatchList, but when I then use Send>file_names_%k% to pass the filename to Audition Open dialog, I get an error dialog indicating that
Les Offrandes Oubli233es - Olivier Messiaen - Orchestre de Paris, Serge Baudot - Angel S-36559 - 2 - LP - ~.wav
File not Found

Note that é in the filename was replaced with 233.

Is there anyway to make this work, or do I need to simply avoid these characters?

Thanks
Xavier

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:26 pm

See help for GetFileList>

The default delimiter is a semicolon (;). You can replace that by placing another string to use as the delimiter at the end of the GetFileList> command. I'd recommend using %CRLF%.

GetFileList>filespec,result,%CRLF%

I don't know what might be the solution for the accented e. Perhaps you could use DOS commands to create your list rather than the built in GetFileList function.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:58 am

Hi,

As JRL noted you will need to specify an alternative delimiter for GetFileList since the default delimiter is used in your file names.

I could not replicate your accented e problem with the following simple test:

1. I created a file on disk called Oubliées.txt
2. I started Notepad.
3. I ran the following script:

GetFileList>%SCRIPT_DIR%\o*.txt,files
SetFocus>Notepad*
Send>files

Oubliées.txt showed up perfectly in Notepad.

I tried this using Macro Scheduler 11 on Windows 7 and on Windows XP and in both cases the accented e showed up correctly.

Therefore I think the issue must be caused by your target application.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

xavierlh1

Post by xavierlh1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Adobe Audition is definitely quirky, and I'm learning to work around all its idiosyncrasies. For now, I'll avoid ";" and accented characters in my filenames (at least until the files have been processed).