RDP into machine and finding a file

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

radorjan

RDP into machine and finding a file

Post by radorjan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:02 am

Hi,

I have a couple hundred windows boxes where I only have RDP access (no WMI/NETBIOS access/no SNMP) and trying to find a way to see if they have a file one them. Any suggestions on how to do this?

One idea I have is to login and make/run a batch file like this

for /f "Tokens=2 Delims=[]" %%i in ('ping -n 1 "%computername%"') do set IP=%%i
for /f "Tokens=1 Delims=[]" %%i in ('dir c:\error.log ^| find "error.log"') do set FILE=%%i
echo %IP% %FILE% > c:\output.txt
notepad c:\output.txt

and clipboard copy it into a file on the launching machine. Anyone have tips/suggestions on better way to do this? Only the launching machine will have Macro Scheduler.

Thanks

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 am

Sounds like a reasonable idea. Use the clipboard to transfer the data so that Macro Scheduler can read it on the calling machine.

Or use image recognition - have the bat file output something on the command line, capture this and have Macro Scheduler look for it.

Or, can you have the remote machine FTP the result file somewhere or copy it to a network share, which Macro Scheduler on the calling machine can then access?

I'm sure there are other solutions that don't require anything to be installed on the remote machine.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:36 am

You Have Logon's On The Machines, Is This An Admin Logon? Could You Use The Default Admin Share?

\\HOSTNAME\C$
FIREFIGHTER