Cannot match window names in Vista

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Cannot match window names in Vista

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:07 am

Vista Home edition, Firefox 2.0.0.8, Macro Scheduler 9.2.0.1

I developed a complex script going through hundreds of web pages. It was developed on XP Pro system, and then found it was for Vista. No problem, I expected a few adjustments.

But...I am unable to use commands with WindowName, because I keep getting a message that Windows cannot find the window named "abcdefg".

But the browser window is open, it visually matches the name in the message. So I used Macro Scheduler tool for View System Windows. Looks the same. Used the feature to copy the name of the object, and pasted it into the script. Same result.

Other Vista issues, probably not related....
1. Could not update scripts because I needed to set Sharing and Permissions on the MJT folders.
2. Cannot make remote connection using Remote Admin 3.0.1, but outgoing is OK.
3. Cannot make folder options (like show file extensions) Apply to All Folders.
4. Some programs/commands trigger nag windows to authenticate usage, see no way to disable them, but I am sure it can be done.

Most of these items listed above look like security/permissions issues that I can track down (currently working with Admin rights ... so confusing). But I mention them in case someone knows of a connection. Again, the major problem is how to stop message that window cannot be found?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:06 am

Bob,

I've been running Vista for over a year with absolutely no issues running Macro Scheduler scripts - new and old. No issues at all with window names. My main machine is Vista and Macro Scheduler has been developed under Vista since Vista was in beta.

File permissions - with Vista's default settings you CANNOT write to the program folders. But this is also true of a locked down XP system. And it is for very good reason. This is why Macro Scheduler now defaults to using the Documents\Macro Scheduler folder for storing macros.

People upgrading Windows XP to Windows Vista who already have an old copy of Macro Scheduler installed that uses the program folder, may encounter an issue and would need to adjust settings. But if installing Macro Scheduler anew on a Vista box you will have no problems.

The nag windows you refer to are UAC (User Account Control prompts. By default Vista runs all apps at regular user privs. Even if you are an administrator. Anything that requires Admin privs will pop up a UAC warning. This is a superb new feature which will drastically cut down on the amount of spyware and malware that previously was able to install itself without warning.

Google UAC and you will find a LOT of information. It's a somewhat controversial topic. Personally I think it's a great move. It's about time everyone wasn't running everything in Windows at full privileges all the time.

If you have a script/exe that needs to control an admin process you can either:

1) Run Macro Scheduler or the EXE with Admin privs (Right click and Run as Admin, or modify shortcut to always run as admin).

2) You could disable UAC altogether - Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy. But this is NOT recommended for regular users.

Here's an easy way to switch UAC on and off:
http://www.tweak-uac.com/
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback Marcus.

I am getting up to speed with Vista slower than I want, but am making progress. I am now familiar with the nag screens, and will have to modify the scripts to handle that. I am inclined to disable that "feature" because I am comfortable about the installed antivirus/anti malware/firewalls, etc.

And I did figure out the security on the new folders and their permissions.

But, as noted, my real problem is the messages coming back that the window name is not present, when I can see it, and Macro Scheduler Windows tools show it also. And I can't see any relationship between that problem and the other Vista "nuisances" that I am working through.
Bob

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:13 pm

This may be stating the obvious, but have you tried using the * at the end of a shortened version of the window names you are finding?

So, of the window name appears to be ABCDEF, the use a window name of ABC*

Worth a try.

pgriffin

thaumaturgy
Junior Coder

Post by thaumaturgy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:22 pm

two other things to try which you probably already have but herethey are.
a space right after the setfocus
and you could try changing your display setting say from " Vista Basic " to " Classic View " to see if that makes a difference.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:52 am

For pggriffin ---
All the windows names have *, That is how the original script began. I don't think I have ever not used the *, but thanks for asking.

Actually I have tried with and without the * for this problem. As noted earlier, I used the MS Windows tool and copied the full exact name into the script, without success

For thaumaturgy ---
Re: a space right after the setfocus
Not sure what you meanabout a space. Are you suggesting Send>spacechar ?
Re: try changing your display setting say from " Vista Basic " to " Classic View " to see if that makes a difference. I have not done that.

I probably will not have access to the system before Monday, but will let you know if suggeestion(s) work out.
Bob

thaumaturgy
Junior Coder

Post by thaumaturgy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:42 pm

For thaumaturgy ---
Re: a space right after the setfocus
Not sure what you meanabout a space. Are you suggesting Send>spacechar ?

Yes, I've seen things work that make me scratch my head and wonder why but if they work consistantly I'm happy. :)
Hate to throw another obvious one at you but here it is.....a space between the end of the title and the star like so:
ABC * instead of ABC*

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:43 pm

I have not included a space before the * but it is worth a try. Thanks for clearing up the obvious for me.
Bob

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:29 pm

"I developed a complex script going through hundreds of web pages. "

Bob

Are these problem windows all webpages? If so what browser version?

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 pm

Using Firefox 2.0.0.8, Vista Home

I cannot provide actual script here because of client confidentiality needs.

I will see if I can come up with a comparable routine .......
Bob