Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

SetFocus problem in Windows Vista

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:14 pm

Greetings,

I am noticing this quite regularly now.

When a set focus command is sent from my script the main window itself is not getting focus...

Instead the small preview window (that appears when you hover over the window label in the lower task bar) gets focus instead.

Of course this means that the main window does not receive any keys and so on that are sent to it.

I hope I have explained this sufficiently for you to have look at it Marcus.

Thanks and all the best,

Phil.
Phil Pendlebury - Linktree

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:37 pm

I'm running Vista and have never seen this happen. Do you get this with all/any windows, or just one in particular? Have you checked the View System Windows tool to see if there are more than one window with the same title? Are you using the asterisk or the explicit window title? Have you used WF_TYPE to narrow down the type of window to find?
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:49 pm

mtettmar wrote:I'm running Vista and have never seen this happen. Do you get this with all/any windows, or just one in particular? Have you checked the View System Windows tool to see if there are more than one window with the same title? Are you using the asterisk or the explicit window title? Have you used WF_TYPE to narrow down the type of window to find?
Hi Marcus, it does seem to be one window in particular but that is the only window that I am really using this app for.

I am using asterisk.

I will look into the other questions you have asked and give you some answers as soon as possible.

I thought it would be an idea to alert you about this just in case there were things I should try (as you have suggested).

Thanks.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi Phil,

Playing around today I managed to replicate it with one particular window. We've looked into it and can see that there could be instances where this preview window is focused, instead of the one you want. We will work on a mod to ignore these ThumbnailClass windows for the next maintenance release, to get rid of the chance of this ever happening.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:41 pm

mtettmar wrote:Hi Phil,

Playing around today I managed to replicate it with one particular window. We've looked into it and can see that there could be instances where this preview window is focused, instead of the one you want. We will work on a mod to ignore these ThumbnailClass windows for the next maintenance release, to get rid of the chance of this ever happening.
Well there you go. Another great example of great support. Instead of just dismissing me as a dumb new user.

I was thinking that *adding* ThumbnailClass to a future release would be quite cool but wasn't sure if the class actually existed.

Anyway, great news and my thanks one again for you looking into this.

:-)

(Super happy customer)