Is it possible to restore a script from an exe?

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

OlgaFB
Pro Scripter

Is it possible to restore a script from an exe?

Post by OlgaFB » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi Marcus,

I remember telling you that saving scripts in a temp directory (playing an exe) was not good. Now it hunted me. :)

I have an exe, but I accidentally erased the script source. Can it be somehow restored from an exe? I actually wanted to share here much of that code, but what I've got left from the latest saved versions, contains some mistakes that in that latest source were fixed.

Thank you,
Olga.

Nagarules
Junior Coder

tt

Post by Nagarules » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:56 am

Nope :D.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Olga,
It might be possible to figure out the logic of the executable if you did not disable the logfile capability at the time you compiled.

Execute the script from Start > Run or from a DOS prompt by typing the path and filename followed by /LOGFILE=c:\logfile.log

eg. C:\myfile.exe /LOGFILE=MyLogFile.txt

Reading the logfile could be helpful especially if you are the one who wrote the original script. The old incomplete version of the script could also assist you. Granted this is a difficult process with no guarantees.

Hope this is helpful,
Dick

Aaron
Pro Scripter

it can be done

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:49 pm

If you search the forum you will see that Marcus says he can, But, and I mean But, He Says only if you can prove you are the author and still only in extreme situations.
Aaron