MacroScheduler, AutoIt and AutoHotkey

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

ineedh3lp
Junior Coder

MacroScheduler, AutoIt and AutoHotkey

Post by ineedh3lp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 pm

Hello!

I am wondering if MacroScheduler covers most or all of the available feature/functions that AutoIt and AutoHotkey have to offer.

In other words, is there something the other scripting applications can do and MacroScheduler can't?

Probably there are things that MacroScheduler can do and the others can't. I'd just like to have an overall view of MS' capabilities over the other popular free solutions.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 am

Have a look at the command reference in the help file. Macro Scheduler does more than those two free tools. For starters Macro Scheduler is a full featured solution with an editor, debugger, forms designer, code builders, scheduler, triggers, and so on - AutoIt is a programming language with no IDE or interface at all - you would for e.g. have to use a third party editor and there is no debugger. Of course you won't get any support (other than peer-peer) either. With Macro Scheduler you will get fast support direct from the makers of the software included with your purchase.

But if you just want to compare the capabilities of the language itself then consider that Macro Scheduler's language is aimed more at non-programmers/beginners where as AutoIt really is more of a programmer's programming language. Also with Macro Scheduler you get things like screen image recognition and screen text recognition which the other solutions do not provide. Macro Scheduler also includes the ability to embed VBScript *within* your code. Again, the others don't do this.

As I said though, if you want to compare capabilities, open up the command references for each and compare the command sets, and also compare syntax and decide which will suit your skills and experience best.

That's about the best comparison you will get here I suspect as most of our users use this forum to talk about and help each other with Macro Scheduler rather than compare it with other tools, and we at MJT Net prefer to concentrate on supporting and improving our own product in isolation and without fixating on what the hundreds of other programming/scripting tools do. And of course we'd probably be a bit biased even if we did :-)
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:55 am

I have used and compared all three products. I am an independant consultant with no ties to any vendors.

I don't recall the details, but I finally selected Macro Scheduler as my tool of choice and never looked back. One of the main advantages is the easier commands and syntax.

Most of my users can now make or modify their own scripts, keeping down the costs of outside consultants like me. I have actually gained business in the long run because they know I make recommendations to save them them money, but they still call on me for the more complex projects.

The extra tools listed by Marcus is great to point out some differences. You can also make your own compiled files much easier. But most of all is the tech support, quick response to suggested additions to the program, and the level of support from the users on this forum.

In MY opinion there is no need to do comparisons, Macro Scheduler is the way to go.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

It'sme again.

Post by PepsiHog » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:29 pm

In other words, is there something the other scripting applications can do and MacroScheduler can't?
Yes. Headaches!

You can't go wrong with Macro Scheduler!!!!

Macro Scheduler is Powerful, easy, slick, cool, brillant..... and did I say Powerful?

I haven't dealt with the two you mentioned, but in all my years of looking for a macro tool, I always found that their commands were always missing something. Such as one that had the command to right click, but not to left click.

Macro Scheduler gives you abilities you can't even fathom right now. I have owned Macro Scheduler for some 3 years or so, and I am STILL amazed at the things I find that I can do.

Oh! yeah, one more thing those others won't offer you. An AWESOME FORUM like this one. I have gotten so much help in this forum it's incredible!!!

And the customer service is awesome! They will help you as much as they can! They go out of their way to help! You WON'T find that with those others!

But those others DO have plenty of HEADACHES for you to use.

AWE!! CRUD!!! I meant for this to be short. Oh well.

P.S. One more thing. Up until I found Macro Scheduler, the most I ever spent on a piece of software was 40 dollars. Macro Scheduler is so awesome and I was SO impressed that I purchased Macro Scheduler. And have not regreted it yet. Can't imagine I will.
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2024) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!