Too brief descriptions of macros

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

wdc
Junior Coder

Too brief descriptions of macros

Post by wdc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:48 pm

As someone new to the MacroScheduler forum I am struggling to understand many of the posts. For example, this post by Rain (Tips and Scrips: LibFunc MessageBox Wizard) useful but I am afraid I cannot grasp from the terse description just what this macro and so can’t tell whether or not I would find it useful. Would some patient soul please tell me in simple English just what this macro (?) accomplishes?

FWIW – I am a rank beginner and this part of the forum may be intended only for pros. Although I have owned an early version of MacroScheduler for years I have rarely used it. I am just now attempting to learn/relearn it. Perhaps there is another place in the Forum I should be monitoring for applicable ideas? I welcome any suggestions.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:58 pm

From an earlier post of yours it sounds like you are using Macro Scheduler version 6. Rain's script requires at least version 7 because that's when the "libfunc" function was introduced. The script may contain code that requires even later versions of Macro Scheduler, I haven't read through the script to find out.

Basically the script provides an easy way to create Microsoft styled warning and information windows.

Macro Scheduler has three built in dialog/message functions "Message", "MessageModal" and "Dialog". Rain's script uses the Macro Scheduler "Libfunc" function to create the code for a fourth style of message window.
FWIW – I am a rank beginner and this part of the forum may be intended only for pros.
Like anything worth having, Macro Scheduler has a great deal of depth. Therefore there is a lot to learn. I learned Macro Scheduler through the forum and through personal experimentation. I have read and still read many things in the forum that I don't understand. But that's sort of the point. That's why I keep coming back. Through this forum I've become much more knowledgeable than I would be without it.

Keep reading, keep experimenting and over time you'll start understanding more and more of what you read. If you want to control your computer rather than having it run you, Macro Scheduler is definitely worth the effort.

wdc
Junior Coder

Post by wdc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation and the words of encouragement.