enable or disanble multiple macros

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

asardina

enable or disanble multiple macros

Post by asardina » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Is there a way to select multiple macros and enable or disable them?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:53 pm

Could you elaborate? Enable or disable them from doing what? From running? Enable or disable the schedule? Prevent them from being edited?

All of these are possible on individual Macros. However, I can't think of any functionality that can be turned on or off affecting multiple macros with a single action. Well...wait...I just checked and you can delete multiple macros. I guess in a way that's disabling them.... probably not what you had in mind. :?

asardina

Post by asardina » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 pm

I have approximately 40 macros that run on a daily basis. Periodically I have to disable multiple macros that are scheduled to run for one reason or another. My question is rather that select each on individually and disableing it from running is there a way to select multiple macros from the schedule and either disable or enable them?

asardina

Post by asardina » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:03 pm

further explanation I would like to remove the schedule enabled flag for multiple macros within the schedule

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:04 pm

If they are the same macros being enabled/disabled consider writing and scheduling a primary macro that runs each of the other individual macros using the Macro> command.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:28 pm

In V10 the "Enable Schedule" option will work against a multiple selection.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:32 pm

I have a PC with a number of fast firing macros controlled by another program and it's desirable to be able to shut them down temporarily. What I do is have all the macros check if a file stopmacros.txt exists, if it does then the macro aborts. To control this I have two macros that can be clicked on the desktop. The "stop" macro renames a file gomacros.txt to stopmacros.txt, it then waits a period of time (30 mins I think) before renaming the file to gomacros.txt - this is to guard against forgetting to restart things. The "go" macro shuts down the stop macro and renames the file to gomacros.txt. It's a bit convoluted but it has worked well.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Me_again wrote:It's a bit convoluted but it has worked well.
Doesn't sound all that convoluted. Seems like a well thought out strategy.
Marcus wrote:In V10 the "Enable Schedule" option will work against a multiple selection.
Sorry I'm not finding this option either by looking in options or by searching through help. I also don't see it mentioned in the version 10 release notes. What am I missing/overlooking? :(

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:01 pm

Marcus wrote:
In V10 the "Enable Schedule" option will work against a multiple selection.

You of all people should know the final version has improvements/fixes over and above the current beta release (which is still at 007 - we're now at build 011) ;-)
Last edited by Marcus Tettmar on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Tettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Sorry... I'm not trying to be difficult... I know you're busy. I was simply not finding an "Enable Schedule" option. I didn't comprehend that it was in the works. Thanks for the clarification.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Ok, I meant "Schedule Enabled". It has been there for years - right click on a macro and you'll see it at the bottom of the menu. Up until now it only worked for a single selection. In build 10.011 it works against multiple selected macros.
Marcus Tettmar

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:03 pm

mtettmar wrote:Ok, I meant "Schedule Enabled". It has been there for years - right click on a macro and you'll see it at the bottom of the menu. Up until now it only worked for a single selection. In build 10.011 it works against multiple selected macros.
Sounds good Marcus, thanks for that.
Me_again wrote:I have a PC with a number of fast firing macros controlled by another program and it's desirable to be able to shut them down temporarily. What I do is have all the macros check if a file stopmacros.txt exists, if it does then the macro aborts. To control this I have two macros that can be clicked on the desktop. The "stop" macro renames a file gomacros.txt to stopmacros.txt, it then waits a period of time (30 mins I think) before renaming the file to gomacros.txt - this is to guard against forgetting to restart things. The "go" macro shuts down the stop macro and renames the file to gomacros.txt. It's a bit convoluted but it has worked well.
Hi Me_again,

I've used a similar method to control macros, only instead of building two macros that will change a filename, I've used the name of a desktop icon itself for that filename and change it manually. Say I have a desktop icon called "Macro1-ON". The icon name appears as a filename in the desktop folder. When Macro1 triggers, it checks to see if a file is in the desktop folder called "Macro1-ON" and if so, it runs else it aborts. To turn it off, I edit the icon's name on-screen to "Macro1-OFF". The thing I like about this method of control is, the Icon Name is always visible on your desktop so you can easily see the current state. If you have multiple macros to control, just add another desktop icon. This can be used to control groups of Macros too, "Group1-ON", "Group2-ON", etc.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:53 pm

I agree it's good to have an indicator. Since my "stop" macro is running (but waiting) when the macros are stopped I use the APP_TITLE for that macro to give me a nice "MACROS STOPPED" status message in the task bar.