hvdberg
Junior Coder

Post by hvdberg » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:39 am

Bad eyeday probably :wink:

Henk

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:35 pm

Thanks to all who replied. From now on when I need immediate assistance I'm going to add the line "this is not very important";) Who knew this thread would blossom into something useful.

Thank you Henk, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you Marcus for the ultimate solution. It works very nicely. I have a menu in my taskbar and my taskbar is hidden. I could not find a key combination that got me through from Winkey>Esc>etc.... and reached the system tray icons. I kept ending up moving through icons on my desktop. Even tried the Shift+tab and got to my desktop in fewer keystrokes. (Henk's method does work on my home computer.)

Thank you all,
Dick

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Not every day that we see Marcus learning something new!

This is a great keyboard shortcut. How has this been unknown for so long?

Now the only problem is the multiple icons with same first letter. Is there some type of index we can use to ID what is loaded in sysbar in what sequence. We could do a query to help know how many Send commands are needed.

And his looks like it should be a new function for next version. ClickSysTray(n|a|an) where we enter "n" for the index number, "a" for the first letter, or "an" for the letter and the count of its occurence.

ClickSysTray(3) would click on the item with index=3.
ClickSysTray(m) would click on the first item with first letter = "m"
ClickSysTray(m4) would click on the fourth item with first letter = "m"

My systray first letters are:
N S U W U M I M M P I M O D P
but these same icons could be a different sequence tomorrow so choosing M4 will not always click on correct choice.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:35 pm

Bob,

I agree it would be nice to know programmatically how many letters are needed on a non-specific computer to execute a specific system tray icon in order to use Marcus'/Henk's process on any computer.

If you have an immediate need, some programs with system tray icons, will open the existing window when you run the program's executable. For example, I use Pegasus mail. It will open correctly whether I send a "p" from Marcus'/Henk's program or if I execute C:\pmail\winpm-32.exe. Macro Scheduler is not one of those. Macro Scheduler will start a second instance of itself if you rerun the executable.

Later,
Dick

hvdberg
Junior Coder

Post by hvdberg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:05 pm

Hey, a fellow Pegasus user! Cool! But I wonder how it is that your Pegasus is activated with the letter P? The tooltip that my Pegasus (4.31, Dec. 2005 according to Help|About) has is "Right-click for new mail info", so if I need to activate Pegasus, I use the letter R

(By the way, did you do the honorable thing and order a Peg manual? :wink:)
Best,
Henk

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:18 pm

Can't explain it... I mistakenly plugged a "p" in and it worked. After reading your post I shut down Pegasus mail and running the script with a "p" opens Macro Scheduler. There are not any "p"s in the Macro Scheduler tool tip.

Regarding the "honorable thing"... yes but it was 9 or 10 years ago and I should probably order another one. Thanks for the guilt trip I needed it.:)

Later,
Dick

hvdberg
Junior Coder

Post by hvdberg » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:04 am

Bob's suggestion about ClickSysTray(...) got me thinking. I'm no Windows programming wizard (in fact I learned the trade in the DOS era and am still struggling with the whole OO concept) but I think I know enough to be able to provide a couple of pointers to places that might help with implementing this. The more savvy people might check out http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en ... 50506.aspx (for retrieving tooltiptext of a control) which I guess might be usable with systray icons too and http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en ... 50484.aspx (for activating a control) which I again guess might be usable with systray icons