How to defeat Shift-Esc

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

JRL
Automation Wizard

How to defeat Shift-Esc

Post by JRL » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:28 am

Is there any way to compile a macro such that the running executable will not be subject to death via Shift-Esc?

I tried changing the default kill key press under tools > options then compiled a script. Shift-Esc still stopped it.

Thanks for listening,
Dick

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:04 pm

No, fraid not. I suppose we could add a compiler switch to disable Shift-Esc, though we'd have to consider the relative merits of disabling a feature that can be used to stop troublesome script exes!
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:20 pm

I think it would be a nice "option". As long as the defeat shift-esc option was performed with the understanding that one would be required to use the slower ctrl-alt-del-end-process, to stop an errant executable script, I don't know why there would be a problem.

Thanks for your consideration of the issue,
Dick

IanSmith
Junior Coder

Post by IanSmith » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:31 am

One thing that pops to mind; some users might not have access to task manager, or stop process...

Take care, Ian

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:09 pm

Ian,
Thanks for your input.

However, what would a user as you've described do in the event that any other program failed? Why does a Macro Scheduler executable NEED a special key combination to stop it? I do think that disabling shift-esc for a compiled script should be an option and not the rule. But I think that the lack of the option is limiting.

Later,
Dick

IanSmith
Junior Coder

Post by IanSmith » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:20 am

Morning Dick,

Fair point :) However, the users only know about Shift+Escape if they hover the mouse over the flashing cog and wait. If they have the nous to do that, they probably have the knowledge to bring up task manager and kill it that way.

Take care, Ian
(In Devil's Advocate mode, it would appear...)

mydave
Junior Coder

Post by mydave » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:23 am

Hi Dick,
I had similar question when I first started using msched. The msched scripts, in my opinion, are mainly for background processes, and need not be interrupted by accident or by unknowing users.
I employed the /NOSYSTRAY /HIDE switch and assigned some less-noticeable name for the compiled exe, such as msscheda.exe, msschedb.exe, etc . . . When a compiled exe runs, it does not show in taskmanager/application, but is buried among similar names in taskmanger/processes. Of course, nothing is shown in systray.
However, the shift+esc sequence has been well known, so I agree with you that it would be a nice option to be able to disable the kill sequence.
Cheers,

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:49 pm

mydave,

Thanks for your input. Thanks also for the ideas about how to defeat the users attempts to defeat the executables.

My problem is that my users were taught by me to use the shift-esc sequence. Now, I have enough helpful executables for them that when they press shift-esc, they don't know which one they're going to kill. I also have some executables that I don't want them to stop. I have created a menu that provides a method to kill a particular program for one user. He still uses Shift-esc because it's faster.

Its interesting to note that if there are multiple executables running, shift-esc kills them in reverse order from their start.

E.g. Start three executables: 1.exe, then 2.exe, then 3.exe. the first shift-esc will stop 3.exe. the second shift-esc will stop 2.exe, the third shift-esc will stop 1.exe, and the fourth shift-esc will stop the program that started when the user logged in and I want to continue running until the user logs back out.

later,
Dick

mydave
Junior Coder

Post by mydave » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 am

JRL wrote: . . . Its interesting to note that if there are multiple executables running, shift-esc kills them in reverse order from their start.
. .
Of course, that explains the necessary need.
Perhaps Marcus would consider to allow custom kill sequence, such as:

Let>APP_TITLE=1.exe
Let>Kill_Sequence=Shift+Escape

or
Let>APP_TITLE=1.exe
Let>Kill_Sequence=Shift+F1

or
Let>APP_TITLE=1.exe
Let>Kill_Sequence=none

Snickers
Macro Veteran

Post by Snickers » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:16 pm

Was a change ever implemented on these suggestions?

Is there a way to set a hotkey, other than SHIFT-ESC, that will stop a compiled macro?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:26 pm

Was a change ever implemented on these suggestions?
Beginning with version 9.0 there is a compile option to turn off the Shift+Esc script kill. Simply add /NOSTOPKEY to the compile command line or if you compile from the main menu simply select the Disable Shift+Esc stopkey option.
Is there a way to set a hotkey, other than SHIFT-ESC, that will stop a compiled macro?
There is nothing built into Macro Scheduler to set a different hotkey to stop a compiled macro. However, writing your own hotkey into a macro should not be too difficult. You can use OnEvent>KEY_DOWN to set up most any key combination that would run a subroutine to close your compiled script.